In May, 2018, the Ontario Municipal Water Association sent emails to all four main political parties in the upcoming provincial election. We asked them to answer several questions related to their party’s policies regarding water and infrastructure, in order to better educate our members for the election.
Of the four parties, the Green Party, the Liberals and the NDP acknowledged our request. The Progressive Conservatives did not. However, only the Green Party and NDP responded with answers. Their replies are linked to PDF files, below.
Here is what the OMWA asked:
- Does your party have a policy for water management in Ontario, and if so can you please provide a copy of your statement to share with our members.
- Does your party policy include provisions for:
• Stormwater management?
• Backflow prevention?
• Managing Lead levels in drinking water?
• Microplastics in water and the environment?
• Climate change mitigation?
• Controlling Inflow & Infiltration to reduce wastewater spills & bypassing?
• First Nations’ water issues?
- Does your party have plans for helping Ontario municipal water suppliers sustainably maintain and improve their water infrastructure? If so, please provide your policy statements to share with our members.
Answers as provided follow.
Continue reading “Political parties respond on water issues”