The Region of Durham is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion within its community and organization, and stronglywelcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, women, persons who live with disabilities, people from 2SLGBTQI+ communities and people from diverse communities.
In accordance with the AODA Act, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment process to applicants withdisabilities.
Water Supply Superintendent
This position is located at the Ajax Water Supply Plant.
Reporting to the Plant Operations Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the execution and direction of all operations and maintenance connected with Regional water supply plants, pumping stations, associated sites and service programs, and ensuring that facility operations are carried out in an environmentally responsible, safe, and cost- effective manner.This position is also responsible for ensuring legislative and regulatory compliance.
The duties include:
- Guide, direct and support employees to ensure that regulatory requirements are met; Plant Superintendents, as well as District Plant Supervisors, have the overall responsibility for the respective systems and are legally responsible for ensuring compliance with all regulatory and legal requirements
- Develop, support, and maintain quality control and quality assurance programs (Drinking Water Quality Management System) for water supply plants, pumping stations, and associated sites and services
- Review technological advancements and monitor and react to changes within the industry and the regulatoryenvironment, enabling the Region to address the needs of the public efficiently and effectively
- Develop and control annual budgets and ten-year forecasts to support the existing programs and those programs envisioned to provide continued effective service including operating and capital budgets for the plant, pumping stations and associated sites and services
- Fully develop and utilize the human resource potential by assessing training needs, overseeing the co-ordination, planning and delivery of various training courses and programs to meet the regulatory requirements and enhance the effectiveness of the workforce
- Evaluate, prioritize, recommend, and execute repairs, upgrades and improvements to plant processes and equipment
- Communicate with regulatory officials and promote the Region’s interests to other levels of government, the public and other stakeholders
- Champion and support the Region’s culture of safety within the Plant Operations Division
- Work in accordance with the provisions of applicable health and safety legislation and all corporate/departmental policies and procedures related to occupational health and safety
The successful applicant must have:
- A post-secondary education diploma or degree in a related field
- A Class 4 Water Treatment Certificate
- A Class 3 Water Distribution and Supply Certificate
- Extensive experience in operations and maintenance of water treatment facilities and distribution facilities
- Knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and associated regulations, Safe Drinking Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Environmental Protection Act, Clean Water Act and all applicable regulations, Environmental Compliance Approvals, as well as Drinking Water Licence
- Knowledge of computerized operating and maintenance management systems, computer assisted and automated plantoperations and various computer operating systems and software applications along with structured safety and environmental management programs
- Superior judgement, decision making, and labour relations skills gained through extensive supervisory experience in aunionized plant operations environment
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, team building, problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as time management skills
- A valid Ontario Class G Driver’s Licence
Management & Exempt Salary Grade 8
– Salary: $114,453 to $143,066 per annum
Conditions of Employment
Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will be required prior to start date.
In addition, all Region of Durham employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the Region’s Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Policy.
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please visit and apply online directly to Job ID#16378 no later than midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process.If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Recruiter will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region’s Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.
|Job Category||Water Supply Superintendent|