City of Waterloo
One of the World’s Top Intelligent Communities, Waterloo boasts a knowledge economy that is globally recognized and is home to major employers, global think-tanks, the country’s leading finance and insurance companies, and world renowned post-secondary institutions. Waterloo’s prosperity is at an all-time high and consistently outperforms provincial standards for wealth, educational attainment, and talent. From urban design and architecture awards to sustainability and economic development awards, Waterloo wins local, provincial and global acclaim as a premier destination for success.
Water Distribution Operator – Water Operations
The City of Waterloo has a Regular, Full Time Water Distribution Operator position available in the Water Distribution Section of the City Utilities Division. Successful candidates will work 40 hours per week. Shift work may be required based upon operational requirements, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Participate in a wide range of administrative, maintenance, construction and operational activities in the Division and assistance in other sections of City Utilities Services
- Participate in the field operations including but not limited to isolating water mains, valve exercising, and hydrant inspection/repairs
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, including Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) guidelines, and maintain required documentation and record keeping
- Maintain log and diary daily, documenting activities for tracking purposes
- Provide customer service support and troubleshooting expertise in the field
- Participate in team development and implementation of operational/maintenance programs to meet City Utilities Division objectives and the needs of our customers and infrastructure
- Respond and control emergency situations (including water main breaks) and understand potential adverse water quality conditions and the related reporting responsibilities
- Assist with adverse response water situations and related documentation
- Maintain a safe work environment by taking necessary precautions and applying safety procedures in accordance with health and safety legislation and City of Waterloo policies
- Perform daily circle checks on vehicles and equipment and ensure safe and efficient operation, care and maintenance of tools, equipment and vehicles
- Communicate and co-operate effectively with others, respecting the values of the Corporation, both internally and externally
- Will be required to participate in an on-call rotation upon attainment of the appropriate knowledge and skills required to do so safely and successfully, subject to management discretion
- May be required to participate in winter operations
- Participate in cross training in other areas of City Utilities and participate on various teams and initiatives as required
- May be required to assist with water meter installations, troubleshooting and repairs
- Other Duties as assigned
- Minimum of Grade 12 education or equivalent
- MECP Certified Operator for Water Distribution and / or Wastewater Collection; MECP Level 1 Operators License (or above) in Water Distribution is preferred
- Six (6) months experience as an MECP Certified Operator in Water Distribution and / or Wastewater Collection. In the absence of candidates with the required experience as an MECP Certified Operator, related experience to the accountabilities listed above may be considered
- Related municipal experience is preferred
- One to Two (1 – 2) years of experience in a related field involving manual physical labour and operation of power tools, vehicles and equipment
- Valid MTO ‘DZ’ class driver’s licence in good standing with driver’s abstract acceptable to the City is required to perform the job. *
- Walkerton Clean Water Centre (WCWC) Entry-level drinking water course would be an asset
- Thorough knowledge of drinking water legislation, including Safe Drinking Water Act, O. Reg 170, O. Reg 128, and other applicable legislation
- Familiar with basic Water Distribution and Waste Water collection activities
- Basic working knowledge of water mains, valves, and hydrants (i.e. able to do valve exercising, hydrant inspection and repairs, as well as understand basic water main appurtenances)
- Basic knowledge of clearing blocked sewer laterals and sanitary main flushing as well as manhole inspection, lateral inspection is an asset
- Working knowledge of various pieces of Public Works equipment such as loaders, dump trucks and water maintenance equipment
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, actual and potential hazards associated with water and sewer operations
- Working knowledge of construction regulations (confined space, trenching, traffic control etc.)
- Capable of performing the physical demands of the position, including lifting and kneeling on a regular basis
- Willing and able to work in an outdoor environment and actively participate in daily activities in various weather conditions
- Ability to work efficiently in a team environment and demonstrate leadership skills
- Motivated , hardworking and able to work with minimal supervision
- Available and willing to work day, evening and weekend shifts when required
- Willingness to gain experience with computer programs such as SCADA, Inframap and Maximo
- Employees will be responsible to ensure that their certificates and licenses are current
- Supplementary training related to the Business Unit will be required (i.e. Confined Space Training, Health and Safety, Environmental, First Aid, Utility Equipment Operation, Pumping Station Operation, etc.)
- Satisfactory Police Record and Judicial Matters Check is a condition of hire
Normal hours of work will be 7:00 am – 3:00 pm. Overtime may be required for operational purposes and shift workmay be required.
*Classification/Hourly Rate Information: $26.72 – $31.52. Please note, wage classifications and rates will be determined based on Internal and external Water Operator Progression Levels.
Please note, candidates without a valid MTO ‘DZ’ class license may be considered for this position in the absence of qualified applicants with the preferred class, however will be required to obtain their MTO ‘DZ’ class license within six (6) months of hire.
Application Process: Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit a CUPE Internal Job Posting Application through the online application process or directly to Human Resources, 100 Regina Street South by 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
For posting and application details please visit. www.waterloo.ca/careers
Be You @ Waterloo: At the City of Waterloo, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. All interested and qualified candidates, including Indigenous persons, Black persons, non-Black racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ and those interested in joining our team are encouraged to apply.
Accommodation: The City of Waterloo is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace that is welcoming, inclusive, and barrier-free. Accommodations in accordance with the Human Rights Code and other applicable legislation are available throughout all stages of the recruitment process. For accommodation during the application process, applicants are requested to make their needs known via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the position and competition number. Applicants advanced through to subsequent stages of the recruitment process will be provided with additional opportunities to make their needs known.
We’ve Got You Covered
The City of Waterloo strives to be an employer of choice for strong talent dedicated to serving our community, and offer the following:
- Competitive wages and a fulsome employer paid benefits package, including paid sick leave, long-term disability, OMERS pension and an Employee and Family Assistance Program;
- A staff team dedicated to fostering and advancing action to support the organization’s ongoing commitment to Indigenous Initiatives, Anti-Racism, Accessibility and Equity;
- Substantial internal and external training and development opportunities;
- Compassionate and caring organization that promotes and embraces a culture of health, safety and wellness;
- Strong commitment to providing and maintaining a psychologically safe workplace that is respectful, inclusive, and where all individuals are valued;
- Paid vacation and personal days, paid float holiday(s), and the ability to bank overtime;
- Employee Purchase Programs (Corporate Cell Phone plans, Computer Purchase Plan, etc.);
- City of Waterloo Staff Recreation Pass;
- Anniversary milestone gifts, starting at 5 years of service for regular part-time and full-time staff; and,
- So much more!
Job Posting Deadline: August 17, 2022 at 4:00 pm