The Town of Smiths Falls is a vibrant, progressive single tier municipality with a population of 9,000. One of Eastern Ontario’s most scenic communities, we are centrally located within an hour of Ottawa, Kingston, Brockville and the US border.
The Town provides a high quality and affordable life for its residents, with beautiful heritage buildings, two theatres, a charming downtown, and world-class museums and recreational facilities. Enjoy our thriving cultural scene with live music, foodie finds, a local brewery, and dozens of community events – all at the heart of the Rideau Canal, Ontario’s only UNESCO World Heritage site and a gateway to the region’s abundant lakes and waterways.
The Town is accepting applications for one (1) full time Water Distribution Operator
Under the direction of the Manager of Water & Wastewater, you will form part of a team that operates and maintains a Class I Water Distribution Facility.
The successful applicant will possess:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12) or equivalent
- Possess a valid Operator Certificate(s) for Water Distribution OIT (Operator-In-Training) or higher. (Ability to obtain a Class I Certification within eighteen (18) months of hire) Other Wastewater/Water Certificates would be considered an asset.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) along with demonstrated experience with MESH and other relevant software programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of key legislation including the Environmental Protection Act, Clean Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Federal Water System Effluent Regulations and other related legislation.
- Ability to make quick and sound decisions in the event of extraordinary situations such as water main breaks and to protect public health and the environment.
- Ability to operate and maintain various tools and equipment (plate packer, chop saws, tapping equipment, meter reader etc.) used in support of water distribution activities.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License (Class G).
- Good oral communications and public relations skills.
- Inside and outside work in all seasons, overtime/weekend work may be required, participate in the On-Call Rotation, Ability to lift ~ 50lbs (22.7kg)
- Expected to report to work in emergency situations during unscheduled times
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume by Wednesday November 22nd, 2023, at 4:00 p.m., to Nadine Bennett, Human Resources Advisor, Town of Smiths Falls, P.O. Box 695, 77 Beckwith Street North, Smiths Falls, Ontario, K7A 4T6 or via email at email@example.com
The Town of Smiths Falls is an equal opportunity employer, committed to ensuring all candidates are able to participate in the interview process fully and equally. If contacted for employment, please let us know if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about the collection of Information should be directed to the Clerk at the address indicated above.
|Job Category||Water distribution operator|