JOB ID #: 17899
Water Distribution Operator Public Works Hamilton Water Various Locations
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: Various
UNION/NON-UNION: CUPE Local 5167 Inside
HOURS OF WORK: 40.00 per week
GRADE: I SALARY/HOUR: $32.551 – $36.990 per hour *Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
STATUS/LENGTH: All Upcoming Vacancies *Note: This periodic posting is for all permanent and temporary, full time and part time positions. Applications will be considered from December 13, 2021 – June 12, 2022.
Job Description ID #: 5098
Vaccine Verification – As a condition of employment you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated or provide proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer prior to your start date. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future vaccine policy requirements as an ongoing condition of employment at the City of Hamilton.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Water Distribution Supervisor, operates the distribution system by monitoring, inspecting, adjusting and directing the flow, pressure and quality of the water within the Water Distribution System. Coordinates and implements routine and emergency water system construction and maintenance programs. Performs sewer and water investigations to ensure compliance with Provincial Legislation and City By-laws and Standards.
• Coordinates, oversees and performs the installation, repair and replacement of water mains, fire hydrants, valves, water services and sample stations.
• Coordinates, oversees and performs scheduled preventive maintenance programs such as fire hydrant code inspections and pressure tests, valve exercising, re-packing and chamber inspections.
• Coordinates, oversees and performs the isolation and return to service of sections and parts of the Water Distribution System.
• Coordinates, oversees and performs water loss and reduced pressure investigations, and locating and marking of the water system.
• Coordinates, oversees and performs complaint investigations such as flooding, tainted water, and odour complaints. Take and record chlorine, bacteria, and other samples.
• Coordinates, oversees and performs temporary and final restorations such as asphalt and concrete driveways, sidewalk, curbs and roadway repairs.
Inputs and retrieves water system data ensuring that computerized data management systems are kept current, accurate and functional.
• Monitors public access, cleans-up, restoration, traffic control and safety regulations on site.
• Records pre-construction site conditions and damages.
• Interprets drawings, blueprints and confirms permits have been issued.
• Interprets legislation and by-laws.
• Requisition and record materials used, updates inventory system.
• Notifies dispatcher, fire control and the public of service disruptions.
• Operates equipment such as gas detectors, flow meters, static gauges, chlorine testers, cell phones, laptop computers, electronic locating equipment, metal detectors, valve machines, hydraulic and hand tools.
• Coordinates and oversees disinfection of water distribution system appurtenances.
• Trains new staff.
• Receives and answers inquiries from staff, public, other departments, contractors and utilities.
• Recommends modifications and additions to the distribution system.
• Performs standby duties as required.
• Works in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
• Performs other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of the job.
1. Demonstrated knowledge and experience of water distribution system and maintenance techniques usually acquired by the successful completion of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma and a year of academic specialization in a related field or a combination of education and relevant work experience.
2. Experience in a water distribution construction, water distribution preventative maintenance and water distribution operations environment would be considered an asset.
3. Must possess a current valid Operator In Training Water Distribution Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change Certification (by exam). Preference will be given to candidates with higher levels of certification by exam.
4. Must be willing and able to obtain a Written Class 1 Water Distribution Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change Certification (by exam) within probationary period in order to continue employment in this position.
5. Must possess a Class “D” licence with a “Z” endorsement.
6. Computer literacy and proficiency utilizing Microsoft products (Word, Excel, & Outlook).
7. Must possess above average organizational skills and be able to work effectively with minimal supervision.
8. Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with internal and external contacts.
9. Previous experience working with asset management software (Hansen preferred).
* Open date of job posting – November 4, 2021 – 12:00am
* Close date of job posting – December 1, 2021 – 11:59pm
* Candidates can apply here: https://www.hamilton.ca/jobs-city/current-opportunities
NOTE: May be required to work shift work, including days, afternoons, evenings and weekend work.
NOTE: As a condition of employment, the successful applicant(s) will be required to obtain a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC), at their own expense, prior to beginning work in this position.