The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Utility Locator within Water Services Division. Reporting to the Supervisor of Distribution – Metering/Locates, the successful candidate will work with the Locates Lead Hand and other field locators to perform underground utility locates on behalf of various City departments. Also, working with the Locates Technician, the successful candidate will ensure accurate and complete City infrastructure locates while conforming to City policies and procedures, Health and Safety objectives and any other regulatory requirements such as Ontario One Call legislation. The successful candidate will have a focus on quality assurance and cost containment/efficiency as well as team building, quality customer service and continuous improvement as related to the locates program. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
Hours of work
Between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. for five (5) consecutive eight (8) hour shifts, or four (4) consecutive ten (10) hour shifts between 7:00am and 6:00pm, Monday through Friday. With the knowledge that City Services are a 24hr operation throughout the year, the successful candidate may be called upon to participate in both scheduled and unscheduled after-hours works as permitted by the collective agreement. Stand-by or on-call duty is a requirement of this position.
• Accurately perform multi- utility locates of City infrastructure using various locating methods.
• Create and follow traffic plans for working in the right of way.
• Perform maintenance and trouble shooting on field locating equipment.
• Use locating software to create, track, complete and share utility locates including electronic or manual drawings of locates.
• Use computers, laptops and or tablets to receive, organize complete and submit locates and prepare other required documentation.
• Liaise with City staff, frontline utility locate representatives, and vendors on locating issues including creation, interpretation and review of drawings.
• Communicate with members of the public about access to private property, processes and actions that locators undertake.
• Work with the Locates Technician to ensure field feedback and data is incorporated into City mapping and databases to ensure that accurate mapping is maintained.
• Represent the department with internal and external contacts by providing high quality customer service both in person onsite and by other communications methods including but not limited to customer troubleshooting and follow up as needed.
• Comply with locate, health and safety and environmental regulations and conform to City policies and procedures including preparation of associated documentation.
• Complete and maintain all daily legislative and non-legislative, City and other records as they pertain to the utility locates and related work including the accurate preparation and completion of required documentation (electronic or otherwise) which may include numerical and textual information, time cards, logs and worksheets etc.
• Collect locate process data for benchmarking and efficiency and provide feedback on the development and implementation of locate standards procedures and practices for the City of Guelph.
• Responds to emergency situations.
• Other duties as required.
• Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 2 years experience in locating multiple types of municipal underground infrastructure. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• DPT 100 or equivalent certification.
• Must possess a valid Class G driver’s licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
• Ability to safely work independently in a productive manner.
• Excellent knowledge with utility locating equipment including computing devices, electronics, software and other locating hardware.
• Knowledge of underground infrastructure and locating equipment including water, wastewater, drainage, traffic signals, fiber optic, communications, electric and other systems.
• Good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, schedule, manage multiple tasks in a demanding work environment.
• Knowledge of GIS and similar databases and creating electronic drawings with software packages.
• Excellent customer service and problem solving skills.
• Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Highway Traffic Act and WHMIS.
• Able to perform physical requirements of position (e.g. field locates in all types of weather conditions).
• Ability to create traffic plans and work in and around traffic and construction vehicles to complete required locates
• Must be a team player with good interpersonal skills.
• Good communications skills with the ability to communicate and deal with all levels of staff, contractors, stakeholders and the general public in a courteous manner.
• Beginner skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel) and familiar with locating software.
$29.31 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, February 28, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
|Job Category||Utility Locator|