About the City of Hamilton
Contribute to the City of Hamilton, one of Canada’s largest cities – home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees. Help us achieve our vision of being the best place to raise a child and age successfully. #BeTheReason
JOB ID #: 21361
Trenchless Technology Specialist – Hydro Excavator Public Works / Hamilton Water 135 King Street East (Dundas)
NUMBER OF VACANCIES: 1 Full-Time Regular
UNION/NON-UNION: CUPE Local 5167 Outside
HOURS Of WORK: 40.00 per week
GRADE: G SALARY/HOUR: $32.286 – $35.093 per hour Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
STATUS/LENGTH: Full-Time Regular
JOB DESCRIPTION ID #: 4078
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Water Distribution Supervisor, the Trenchless Technology Specialist coordinates, oversees and performs works, typically with a crew to inspect, install, repair, replace and maintain water mains, water services, valve chambers, hydrants and valves and other system appurtenances. The Trenchless Technology Specialist operates a wide variety of machinery, primarily the Hydro Excavator.
• Coordinates, oversees and performs work with a crew.
• Assists the Water Distribution Operator in the installation and repair of watermains, water services, fire hydrants, valve chambers, locating and inspecting water system infrastructure, valve repair and servicing and operating valves.
• Work during unfavourable environmental conditions and within public road allowances.
• Operate hydro excavator.
• Notifies public, businesses and contractors of water flushing and shutdowns
• Read and interpret blueprints, GIS and sketches of system showing location and configuration.
• Break pavement and sidewalks, hand-dig and back-fill excavation.
• Coordinates, oversees and performs temporary restorations such as asphalt and concrete driveways, sidewalk, curbs and roadway repairs
• Arrange for job site restoration such as replacement of sod, topsoil, asphalt and concrete.
• Cut timber, install trench and shoring mechanisms including trench boxes.
• Operate equipment such as boring machines, gophers, tapping machines, compressors, hand tools, pneumatic tools, hydraulic cutters, burning torches, pumps, gas detectors, confined space equipment, geophone and other leak detection equipment, locate boxes, valve turning equipment, dump truck, backhoe, loader, shoring trailer, forklift, cell phone, laptop computer and other implements associated with the water distribution system repairs as required.
• Configure and set up signs and delineation for traffic control.
• Assists in the installation of trench boxes, hydraulic shoring, and trench timber shoring
• Inputs and retrieves water system data ensuring that computerized data management systems are kept current, accurate and functional.
• Drive vehicle, load and unload parts of equipment. Maintain vehicle in clean operating condition. Perform daily circle check of vehicle.
• Perform service and preventive maintenance on tools, equipment and vehicles.
• Monitors public access, cleans-up, restoration, traffic control and safety regulations on site.
• Records pre-construction site conditions and damages.
• Complete forms, manually or electronically, such as water inspection reports and work orders
• Train new staff.
• Maintain yard, equipment and inventory.
• Work in accordance with the provisions of applicable Health and Safety legislation and all City of Hamilton corporate and departmental policies and procedures related to Occupational Health and Safety.
• Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the responsibilities of the position.
1. Previous experience related to duties listed above normally acquired by a combination of education and related work experience.
2. Previous experience driving and operating a Hydro-Excavator is required.
3. Ability to work with minimal supervision.
4. Ability to operate all job-related tools and equipment in a safe manner (i.e. compressors, gas power equipment, etc.).
5. Must be able to follow written instructions in performing a variety of tasks such as operating vehicles or assisting on trade or craft type work. Must be able to complete reports or logs
6. Knowledge of relevant legislation such as Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations including W.H.M.I.S. legislation.
7. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to elected officials, subordinates, peers, superiors and the general public with tact and professionalism.
8. Computer literacy and proficiency utilizing Microsoft products (Word, Excel, & Outlook).
9. Must possess above average organizational skills and be able to work effectively with minimal supervision.
10. Previous experience working with asset management software (Hansen preferred).
11. Must possess a Class “DZ” Driver’s Licence and a point-free driving record and/or a record found to be satisfactory to the City of Hamilton.
Must be able to kneel, stoop, climb and lift while assisting in the repair and maintenance of City infrastructure.
Must be able to work in all outdoor environments.
NOTE 2: Must be able to lift 50 pounds
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification, and for internal applicants, subject to discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for discipline, up to and including termination for internal applicants and disqualification for external applicants.
Please apply on or before: Wednesday, November 22, 2023 at 11:59pm at www.hamilton.ca/careers and reference Job ID: 21361.
|Job Category||Trenchless Technology Specialist - Hydro Excavator|