Supervisor, Water Works
Infrastructure Services Department
(Full-time position, 40 hours per week)
Located on the north-west edge of the Greater Toronto Area, less than one hour’s drive from Toronto and yet only moments away from the unspoiled, natural beauty of the Niagara Escarpment, the Town of Orangeville offers a combination of small-town charm and urban amenities. Situated in the picturesque natural setting of the Hills of Headwaters, Orangeville is home to nearly 30,000 residents and is the largest urban community and regional service centre within the County of Dufferin.
The Town of Orangeville is seeking to fill the position of Supervisor, Water Works. This position oversees the Town’s Water Works staff, as well as the day-to-day operation of the Town’s water supply and distribution systems.
Duties of the position include:
• On a rotational basis, performing the duties and responsibilities of the Overall Responsible Operator (ORO) as required under Ontario Regulation 128/104 and/or the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Guideline No. 5.1, and the Drinking Water Operator/Water Quality Analyst Certification, as amended.
• Supervising Water Works staff, including assigning work, assisting with the selection of new hires, training, motivating and evaluating staff, and performance management in accordance with the Town’s employment policies.
• Supervising and/or arranging for supervision of maintenance work on treatment units, pumps, valves, watermains and appurtenances in the water supply and distribution systems, including work undertaken by staff and contractors.
• Ensuring operating data is collected as required by all licences, permits and regulations, verify its validity, and assist with its compilation, review and analysis.
• Assisting with co-ordinating annual Ministry inspections, as well as assisting with the preparation of reports and information required by provincial regulations.
• Assist senior staff with administrative matters, such as completing time sheets, approving payments to contractors and suppliers, the Water Works maintenance program, providing annual budget input, responding to public inquiries, etc.
• Completing annual training required to by provincial regulation to maintain the drinking-water certificates that are a requirement of the position.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Secondary School Diploma.
• Three to four years’ experience in the operation and maintenance of water supply, treatment and distribution systems, including a minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
• Drinking Water Operator Certificate, Water Distribution and Supply Subsystem Class 3, and Water Treatment Subsystem, Class 2.
• Current and valid Class G driver’s licence.
• Thorough understanding of the requirements of the applicable regulations that pertain to the operation and maintenance of water supply, water treatment and water distribution systems, including but not necessarily limited to: the Permit to Take Water, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Clean Water Act, and the applicable regulations made under the aforementioned Acts.
• Good verbal and written communication skills, experience with computers including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, and experience with SCADA.
• Must be conscientious, detail oriented, and able to work both independently and as a member of a team.
• Must reside in a location not more than thirty minutes’ driving distance from the Town Operations Centre, in order to respond to emergencies.
Hourly Range: $41.71 to $48.80, Band 10 on the Town’s 2021 Pay Grid, plus a comprehensive benefits package
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, July 16, 2021. Applications may be submitted online, or in person to the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes. Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25, as amended, and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.
|Job Category||Water Works|