DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services Department
BRANCH:Operations, Maintenance and Monitoring Branch
Salary: $32.92 to $39.66 per hour
LOCATION: 380 Bayview Parkway, Newmarket
SCHEDULED WEEKLY HOURS: As Required and Varied
OPERATIONAL HOURS: 24/7
START DATE: Immediate
This is an Addition to staff Union position – CUPE Local 905 (York Region Unit)
Reporting to the Supervisor, Remote Operations is responsible for providing 24/7 remote operations and support to York Region’s Water and Wastewater systems, including the remote operation and analysis of events; implements system operational strategies, monitors performance of systems and reacts appropriately, ensures storage and quality parameters meet Regional Water Systems requirements and are at adequate levels and quality; operation and monitoring of sewage pumping stations, odour control facilities and asset reliability; implementation of alarm management strategies; providing remote Operator in Charge (OIC) functions and support as required and where applicable.
- Monitors the operating status of water and wastewater systems in York Region and addresses operational issues where possible and determines when to escalate or report to operations field staff.
- Remotely adjusts process equipment and variables as required.
- Works in accordance with health and safety standards, using all personal protective equipment as required by the Occupational Health & Safety Act and regulations and Regional policies and procedures.
- Participates in field training and other training for water and wastewater operators, as assigned.
- Acts as Operator in Charge (OIC) of the Transmission and Supply Systems (WD & WDS) and initiates the operational requirements with Water Treatment Plants to meet daily and shift demands.
- Performs analysis of relevant operational data such as calculations of flow rates, pumping times, and volumes.
- Maintains log books for Water, Wastewater and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System within regulatory requirements.
- Monitors and reviews various dashboards and other programs including energy management, pump efficiencies, storage levels, etc. to assist with process or operational improvements.
- Responds to telephone inquiries/complaints from operational staff, contractors, the public and other municipalities on issues relating to water and wastewater systems.
- May be assigned Operator duties based on operational need or licence/developmental requirements and in accordance with attained MECP Certification Level and demonstrated skills training.
- Successful completion of a Community College Diploma in Environmental Technology or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- RO I: Successful completion of Operator-in-Training certification in Water Treatment, Distribution and Supply and Wastewater Treatment and Collections; must successfully pass examinations for Class I Wastewater Collection License and Class I Water Distribution and Supply Certification within probationary period or first 6 months.
- RO II: Successful completion of Operator-in-Training certification in Water Treatment and Wastewater Treatment; minimum class 1 Certification in Water Distribution and Supply and Class 1 for Wastewater Collections.
- Minimum one (1) year experience for RO I and two (2) years experience for RO II in Water/Wastewater or related industry, including experience on Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Systems.
- Knowledge of Water/Wastewater operational systems, hydraulics, water reservoirs storage and supply and wastewater conveyance.
- Familiarity with Statistical Process Control techniques in using PCS/SCADA to manage and operate water and wastewater operations and quality management systems.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, OH&S Act, Ontario Safe Drinking Water Act, Reg. 170/03 and 128-04, 129-04.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer focus, communication, collaboration and personal ownership.
- All York Region Employees are required to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine series, approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization, as a condition of hire. Should you be the successful candidate, you will be required to comply with the Region’s mandatory Vaccination Policy that is in effect.
Please apply online by October 18, 2021 at 4:30 p.m. As an alternative, you can apply via e-mail to email@example.com All job vacancies are recorded on a 24-Hour Career Line and may be accessed by calling 1-877-464-9675 ext. 75508. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
York Region is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. At the Region, we respect, encourage and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require Code-protected accommodation.