In this role:
In this role, you will be part of a team using your skills to operate and maintain the water, wastewater and storm water systems in Point Edward.
- Class 1 Water Distribution or Class 1 Water Distribution and Supply, Class 1 Wastewater Collection, and Class 1 Wastewater Treatment. Higher certifications will be considered an asset
- Lesser qualified candidates may be considered as an under-fill minimum Operator-in-Training (OIT), as specified in O.Reg. 128/04 of the Safe Drinking Water Act and O.Reg. 129/04 of the Ontario Water Resources Act
- Ability to achieve Class 2 certification in water and Class 3 in wastewater.
- Must be available for overtime and ability to be on-call after regular working hours as part of a rotation or as required by management.
- Ability to respond to call-back situations within a reasonable amount of time and live within a max distance to ensure response time is achievable.
- Minimum G drivers license required. Proof of a clean driving record may be required. Ability to obtain a DZ will be required.
- Participation on JHSC may be required or made mandatory.
The following skills will be an asset
- Certification in a related trade will be considered an asset. eg; Electrician, Millwright, Mechanic, Plumber etc.
- Valid Class DZ/AZ driver’s license will be considered an asset.
- Experience operating commercial trucks, wheel loaders, tractors, mowers, chain saws, chippers etc.
- Training or experience in auditing and inspections.
- OHS Certification Part 1 & 2
Knowledge Skills and Ability include
- Good knowledge of water and wastewater treatment processes to operate the facilities
- Working experience/knowledge of the skilled trades for the maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment and structures, including but not limited to the following skills: basic electrical repair, welding, plumbing, millwright, gas fitting and steam fitting.
- Good knowledge of the relevant regulatory and legislative acts, codes, policies, guidelines and procedures related to water and wastewater operations and maintenance, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and health and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of water/sewer construction and repair.
- Knowledge of basic mathematics and chemistry to make calculations for chemical and operating processes.
- Ability to interpret maintenance manuals, blueprints and other technical specifications
- Use and storage of industrial chemicals.
- Familiarity with computers, including monitoring and operating systems.
- Familiarity with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems would be an asset.
- Analytical, problem-solving, planning and scheduling skills required to effectively inspect, operate and monitor the facilities processes and equipment.
- Ability to perform routine preventive maintenance; take samples, interpret results and make process control adjustments to resolve operating issues.
- Good oral and written communication skills to liaise with a variety of people including coworkers, residents, and suppliers, while keeping accurate logs and writing reports
- Experience preparing and submitting reports to management and regulatory bodies /agencies
- Ability to work in a team environment and take initiative.
- Ability to perform manual labour.
The rate of pay for this position is $32.50 per hour plus a competitive benefits package and enrollment in the OMERS pension plan.
Please submit applications for this position electronically to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is Monday, November 1, 2021 at noon.
All applicants are thanked for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purposes of candidate selection.
In order to attend the Point Edward office for an interview candidates must be fully vaccinated.
The Village of Point Edward is an equal opportunity employer servicing our diverse communities. The Village of Point Edward is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. This information is available in an alternative format upon request, to accommodate individuals with a disability. Although we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.