Manager, Public Works
Infrastructure Services Department
(Full-time position, 35 hours per week)
The Town of Orangeville has an opportunity available for the position of Manager, Public Works. This position oversees, manages and co-ordinates the daily operations of the Public Works Operations, Water Works and Wastewater Treatment outside staff.
Duties of the position include:
- Managing activities of the Public Works division, including operations, maintenance and repair services for the road system, sidewalks, storm sewer system, water supply and distribution system, sanitary sewerage collection and treatment systems, and cemetery, and directs the Supervisors to undertake the maintenance work or arrange for and coordinate outside contractors in accordance with the Town’s Procurement Policy.
- Assisting with the selection of new hires, training, motivating and evaluating staff, completing performance evaluations, implementing discipline.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of ongoing preventative maintenance programs in accordance with budget, monitoring and evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of maintenance programs, optimizing operations, recommending appropriate service and staffing levels.
- Assisting in the preparation of Operating and Capital budgets for the Public Works, Water Works and Wastewater groups within the Infrastructure Services Department, approving expenditures, and coding invoices in accordance with the Town’s Procurement Policy.
- Responding to enquiries from the public, taking appropriate action, and maintaining records of theactions taken; ensuring work undertaken by staff complies with legislation; approving payroll, acting as backup in the absence of supervisor(s) preparing time and attendance information for payroll.
- Other duties assigned.
- College Diploma or University Degree in Engineering or related discipline and registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) with the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario or a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET)
- Additional training in the management and oversight of operations staff, as well as conflict resolution, negotiation and contract management is an asset
- Four to five years of supervisory or management experience of operations staff involved in the operation and maintenance of municipal roads and/or water supply, treatment and distribution systems, and/or wastewater systems
- Demonstrate good communication skills and diplomacy; able to interpret engineering drawings, contracts and other technical/legal documents.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Valid Ontario Class G drivers licence.
Salary Range: $106,761.20 to $124,888.40, Band 13 on the Town’s 2021 pay grid, plus a comprehensive benefits package
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, May 7, 2021. Applications may be submitted online or submitted in person to the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes. Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25, as amended, and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.