When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Licensed Millwright – Water within the Water Services Division. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision for an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
• Maintains water infrastructure, pumps, motors, valves, chemical feed equipment, process piping, storage facilities, monitoring instruments, generators and diesel engines.
• Ensures safe drinking water is provided to the public through compliance with MECP regulations, the Safe Drinking Water Act and standard operating procedures.
• Inspects, and maintains water treatment equipment by taking meter readings, adding chemicals, adjusting flow and chemical feed rates, keeping written records and inspecting and repairing equipment.
• Assist in facility maintenance, keeping sites in good order – including floor sweeping, cleaning equipment and piping, washroom cleaning etc.
• Monitors equipment performance by monitoring flow, pressure levels, and vibration temperature, equipment – operating times and other process variables.
• Maintains chemical delivery system and maintains chemical storage facilities and for delivery vehicles.
• Co-ordinates and oversees the work of contractors and external trades, as required.
• Performs process calculations and interprets results for appropriate process control adjustments.
• Utilize SCADA and facilities data management systems, monitor process trends to determine root causes and troubleshoot issues.
• Monitor unit process performance and system performance to assure Municipal Drinking Water License (MDWL) compliance.
• Maintains a good working relationship with all colleagues, customers and contractors through collaboration, communication and application of conflict resolution skills.
• Assist with preparing and updating standard operating procedures when needed.
• Performs data entry, both written and computer entry.
• Performs repairs on pumps, valves, electric and pneumatic actuators, motors, gears, hydraulics, mechanical drives, speed reducers and other related equipment.
• Analyze by troubleshooting all types of mechanical and related equipment, making recommendations on a course of action for the repair or replacement of equipment.
• Organize, co-ordinate and work with external contractors while performing maintenance or repairs to equipment, including the inspection of completed work to ensure it conforms to City standards and industry best practices; Ensure all work complies with safety standards and all applicable codes.
• Respond to emergency equipment failures, troubleshoot equipment and diagnose problems, identify needed resources and make repair or work with contractors to complete work.
• Provide support services to project implementation and the start-up and commissioning of equipment.
• Responsible for the ongoing development and day to day administration and update of a Computerized Maintenance Management System including preventative maintenance administration and the processing of work requests, work orders, data entry and the generation of system reports related to the condition of equipment.
• Ability to use preventative maintenance metrics such as vibration analysis and thermal imaging.
• Perform welding, pipe fitting, plumbing, rigging and operational duties.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 Diploma and 3-4 years maintenance experience; preferably in water supply/treatment or wastewater environment. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Possession of Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) License 433A or Licensed Well Technician certification.
• Must be in possession of a Water Treatment OIT Certificate or obtain same within 2 months of hire, must pass Class 1 Water Treatment certification exam within 12 months of hire, and obtain Water Treatment Class 1 Certificate within 26 months of hire.
• A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
• Knowledge of municipal water system operations and MECP regulations.
• Knowledge of the repair, maintenance and operation of municipal water and chemical feed system equipment including the ability to read and understand technical drawings and repair manuals
• A good understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS.
• Knowledge of municipal water preventative maintenance programs.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
• Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word and Excel).
• Ability to record and keep accurate records.
• Knowledge and ability to work with small hand tools, piping, tubing, pumps, analyzers and transmitters.
• Familiarity working with chlorine (sodium hypochlorite 12%).
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, contractors, stakeholders and the general public.
• Ability to analyse and troubleshoot problems effectively in a process environment.
• Ability to understand equipment manufacturers’ schematic drawings to check equipment installation and repairs.
• Ability to set priorities.
• Excellent customer services skills.
• Ability to work in physically demanding conditions including regularly lifting objects up to 25kg, working from heights and in confined spaces (reservoirs, chambers, elevated platforms, water towers etc.).
• Experience with Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems (SCADA) and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems is an asset.
• Ability to obtain licensing requirements as per MECP and directed by Water Services Management within a reasonable timeframe.
$34.95 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, June 4, 2023. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
|Job Category||Licensed Millwright - Water|