Competition Number: INF-21-21
Department: Infrastructure & Operations
Posting Category: Open
Job Type: Full-Time
Affiliation: CUPE Local 87
Site: Contract Project Services
Location: CA-ON-Thunder Bay
Min: CAD $30.52/Hr
Max: CAD $33.21/Hr
Number of Positions: 1
Effective Date: January 1, 2018
Supersedes Date: September 21, 2011
Posted Date: February 26, 2021
Post End Date: March 8, 2021
General Information: As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Thunder Bay encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE: It is a contravention of the Human Rights Code of Ontario to discriminate on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, age, record of offences, gender identity or gender expression. Therefore, a resume submitted to the City must not include references to any of the above characteristics. Do not include:
- Any certificates that have photo identification
- Driver’s licences
- Police records checks
Note: The above documentation will be requested by the Human Resources & Division should you be the successful applicant. If a Criminal Record Check is required it will be requested by Human Resources should you be the successful applicant. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
ACCOMMODATION: Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process.
PRIVACY: Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, c. 302, as amended, and will be used to determine eligibility for employment. Questions about this collection of personal information should be directed to the Human Resources & Corporate Safety Division, 125 Syndicate Ave Suite 42, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7E 6H8, Telephone: 625-3866
Application forms must reference the competition number and be submitted to Human Resources by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
Wage rate and certification pay depending on level of certification held:
|Certification Level||Wage Rate|
|Class 2 WD & 1 WWC||30.52 + certification pay|
|Class 3 WD & 2 WWC||31.91 + certification pay|
|Class 4 WD & 3 WWC||33.21 + certification pay|
|Class 4 WD & 4 WWC||33.21 + certification pay|
Certification pay rates:
|Class||Water Distribution (WD)||Waste Water Collection (WWC)|
|Example: Class 3WD & 2 WWC = $31.12+$1.00+0.60 = $32.72|
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Supervisor – Contract Project Services, the Lead Operator directs, instructs and works in cooperation with the Construction staff. Operational and maintenance duties shall be performed in accordance with the Ministry of Environment regulations, guidelines and as listed in the Associated Board of Certification (ABC) guidelines.
- Directs, instructs, operates and works with crew(s) in the construction, maintenance, operation and replacement of the water distribution/waste water/storm water collection system including services, mains, valves, hydrants, house/building connections, catch basin, chambers and other related fixtures (appurtenances). Provides technical direction and guidance to staff.
- Directs operations of valves, pumps, flow meters, gates, isolate water mains and reconnect isolated water mains, hydrant flushing, chlorinate water mains, turns water services on and off, and other related appurtenances.
- Assigns crews and equipment to projects.
- Operates jackhammers, rock drills, power saws, pumps, steamers and other work related equipment.
- Ensures records are completed, reviews logs, reports and other record keeping mechanisms as per regulatory requirements.
- Compiles and completes time sheets, work orders, incident reports as required.
- Orders, distributes, records and reports on materials used to perform Contract Project Services functions.
- Ensures that crews are supplied with the necessary equipment and are working efficiently and safely.
- Works in cooperation with other supervisors in the assignment of staff and equipment.
- Participates in the preparation of shift and vacation schedules.
- Checks and accounts for maintenance and inventory of safety equipment and provides technical direction and guidance to staff on their use.
- Reports on normal operations of all Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection related equipment and recommends replacement of fixtures showing wear or requiring maintenance.
- Maintains data collection systems and prepares reports as required.
- Designated as OIC (Operator in Charge).
- Participates in the development of training protocols and trains staff as required.
- Compiles time sheets, work orders, compensation and incident reports.
- Performs the duties of a Water Distribution/Wastewater Collection Operator as required.
- Relieves the Supervisor Contract Project Services or Operations & Maintenance Supervisor as required.
- Performs standby duties as required.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned.
- Must possess 2 years relevant post-secondary education or 90 continuing education units in a field deemed appropriate by the Ministry of the Environment
- Five (5) years related practical experience in water distribution subsystems and waste water collection facilities
- Must be able to understand sewer and water distribution maps and construction drawings and demonstrate the ability to perform all construction, maintenance and operational functions related to water distribution subsystems and wastewater collection facilities
- Must be reliable with the ability to effectively assign work, direct and instruct employees
- Must be capable of issuing and accurately comprehending written/oral information and instructions
- Must be at basic skill level in word processing, and spreadsheet software
- Must be tactful and courteous with the public
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class “G” Ontario Drivers Licence, or equivalent
- Must meet the definition of a competent driver as defined by the Corporation
- Must be competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be physically capable to perform the duties of the job
- Must possess a Class III Drinking Water Operator Certificate in Water Distribution Subsystems and a Class II Waste Water Operator Licence for Waste Water Collection Facilities
- Must attain and maintain a Class IV WD Certificate and Class III WWC License within 2 years of accepting the position
- Must maintain the level of the Waste Water Collection Facility and Water Distribution Subsystem
- Must remain a competent driver as defined by the Corporation
- May be required to provide a successful driver’s record (uncertified)
- Must undergo a successful Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)
- Must work weekends and shifts as required
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions and with sewage
- Must be able to meet the response times for Standby as stipulated in the Environment Divisions Standard Operating Procedures
|Job Category||Lead Operator ( Construction)|