When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Applications are being accepted for the Lead Hand, Wastewater Collection. Reporting to the Supervisor, Wastewater Collection, the successful candidate will be a working Lead hand role that assists the Supervisor in the planning and scheduling of all resources necessary to carry out wastewater collection and contracted services programs, and will perform functions in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, wastewater collection system operation, maintenance and construction principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – an inclusive, connected, prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
Hours of work
Monday through Friday five (5) consecutive shifts or eight (8) consecutive hours between the hours of 6:00am and 4:00pm. Participation in the On-call/Stand-by rotation is a requirement of this position.
• Plan, schedule, delegate, monitor, quality control and evaluate the work of the Wastewater Collection team and related contractors.
• Ensure the efficient, timely and appropriate operation, maintenance, and renewal of the City’s Wastewater Collection assets, including sewage pumping stations, sanitary mains, maintenance holes, laterals and other appurtenances.
• Plan, monitor and participate in linear asset and sewage pumping station operation and maintenance programs, process control, preventative and corrective maintenance, including monitoring through SCADA and e.RIS as well as contractor oversight
• Review and provide comment on proposed site plans, capital project design drawings, bypass plans as submitted by internal or external parties
• Provide leadership for Wastewater Collection Team and program direction, innovation, value, service, and coordination.
• Create or assist in the creation and revision of policies, guidelines, work instructions, checklists and standard operating procedures, as required.
• Liaise with Project Manager, Supervisor and/or Manager to report progress and variances, incidents and equipment matters, resolve issues, and refine planning.
• Assist in the on boarding process with new staff.
• Ensure all tools and equipment are in good working order and safe to operate. Ensure staff are properly trained in their usage and work withing existing contracts, Purchase orders or using a Purchasing Card coordinate the repair or replacement of these items as required.
• Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition, and ensure daily circle checks and defects reporting and, if necessary, undertake small repairs in a prescribed manner and ensure timely documentation to trigger required repairs.
• Provide technical direction to staff and contractors and assist in their training and development, as appropriate.
• Maintain accurate and thorough records as per O.Reg 129/04, policies, procedures and corporate standards; including log book entries, financial transactions, inventories, employee relations, health and safety, inspections and incidents, as well as weekly, monthly and annual operational and maintenance plans and schedules.
• Liaise with others in the division or beyond, to coordinate projects and inter-related schedules, gain efficiencies in operations, and to share equipment, materials, and staff.
• Manage service requests, work orders, and purchasing using Oracle WAM, and other programs, as applicable.
• Investigate and respond to citizen inquiries/concerns, decide on and execute related work.
• Manage digital in-field data capture for the Wastewater Collection Facility through GIS, e.RIS, CCTV inspection.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a 2 year post-secondary diploma in Environmental Science, Civil Engineering Technology or related, and four (4) years of relevant experience in operation and maintenance of wastewater collection systems. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Must possess a valid MECP Class III Wastewater Collection Facility License, or be able to obtain within twelve (12) Months from date of hire.
• Excellent leadership skills with experience in directing and assigning work to others, including training, monitoring work performance, and motivating staff.
• Preference will be given to candidates with a valid Class DZ drivers license with a good driving record. Candidates without DZ may be considered and will be required to obtain a DZ license within 6 months of hire through the internal driver training being offered through the City or through an external service that would have to be paid for by the successful applicant. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract and CVOR prior to their start date to confirm their license is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
• Knowledge and understanding of Wastewater Collection System operation, repair, rehabilitation and maintenance.
• Knowledge of currently accepted industry best practices as they relate to sanitary sewer inspection, maintenance, repair and rehabilitation techniques, infiltration, inflow, bypass operation and oversight.
• Certifications first aid, working at heights, and confined space entry would be an asset.
• PACP/MACP/LACP certification would be an asset
• Effective communication skills, customer service and problem solving skills.
• Proficient time management and record keeping skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
• Must be a reliable self-starter and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly.
• Must possess a thorough understanding of the MTO’s OTM Book 7 for Temporary Conditions, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
• An aptitude for computers is required to utilize CMMS, GIS and in order to effectively monitor and control processes using automatic controls and the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA)
• Proficiency with Windows and Microsoft Office software, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
• Ability to work at heights and enter confined spaces.
• Must be able to work with the public and collaboratively problem solve.
• A satisfactory Police Record Check would be required at time of offer.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Tuesday, September 20, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
|Job Category||Lead hand|