|Competition Number: INF-65-20||Department: Infrastructure & Operations|
|Posting Category: Open||Division: Environment|
|Job Type: Full-Time||Affiliation: CUPE Local 87|
|Site: Sewer & Water||Location: CA-ON-Thunder Bay|
|Min: CAD $25.73/Hr.||Max: CAD $29.23/Hr.|
|Pay Band: N/A||Number of Positions: 1|
|Effective Date: January 1, 2018||Supersedes Date: New|
|Posted Date: October 9, 2020||Post End Date: October 20, 2020|
As an equal opportunity employer, the City of Thunder Bay encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
ONTARIO HUMAN RIGHTS CODE: It is a contravention of the Human Rights Code of Ontario to discriminate on the basis of: race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, age, record of offences, gender identity or gender expression. Therefore, a resume submitted to the City must not include references to any of the above characteristics. Do not include:
- Any certificates that have photo identification
- Driver’s licences
- Police records checks
Note: The above documentation will be requested by the Human Resources & Division should you be the successful applicant. If a Criminal Record Check is required it will be requested by Human Resources should you be the successful applicant. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
ACCOMMODATION: Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process.
Application forms must reference the competition number and be submitted to Human Resources by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date.
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Operations & Maintenance Supervisor, and the technical direction and guidance of the Lead Operator, operates, inspects, monitors and performs maintenance, repair and replacement of the water distribution, storm water, and sewer collection systems. Operational and maintenance duties shall be performed in accordance with the Ministry of Environment regulations, guidelines and as listed in the Associated Board of Certification (ABC) guidelines.
- Performs maintenance, repair and replacement work on the water distribution/waste water collection systems, including services, sewer and water mains, valves, hydrants, house connections, manholes, catch basins and other related fixtures (appurtenances).
- Operate valves, pumps and gates as required, isolate water mains and reconnect isolated water mains, flush hydrants, chlorinate water mains, and turns water services on and off.
- Operates and maintains the processes within his or her responsibility in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with the relevant Operations Manual.
- Ensures that the processes within his or her responsibility are measured, monitored, sampled and tested in a manner that permits them to be adjusted when necessary.
- Ensures that all equipment to be used in the processes within his or her responsibility are properly monitored, inspected and evaluated and that records of equipment operating status are prepared and available at the end of every operating shift.Operates all equipment required to repair or maintain the water distribution and waste water collection systems.
- Participates in valve exercising and hydrant flushing programs. Prepares and communicates information to public on programs as necessary.
- Drills and taps cast iron, ductile iron, asbestos cement, hypresscon, plastic and steel water mains. Installs water service fittings as needed.
- Lays and repairs service connections, prepares service drawings and records material used.
- Performs camera inspections of sewers and removes blockages from connection using appropriate methods.
- Operates microprocessor based correlator equipment to detect and pinpoint locations of known or suspected water main leaks and as a survey tool to investigate and detect unknown leaks or losses in the water system and rank them for priority of repair.
- Investigates and resolves customer complaints and inquiries relating to water/waste water services.
- Maintains tapping machine and does minor servicing of pumps, generators, steamers, thawing machines and other related equipment including tools.
- Performs and receives locates of underground utilities as required.
- Reports situations requiring further actions to appropriate department or person. Completes follow up as necessary.
- Completes logs and other record keeping mechanisms as required in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Performs the duties of a Skilled Water Worker when required.
- Performs standby duties as required.
- Designated as OIC (Operator in Charge).
- Relieves Lead Operator as required.
- Reports material usage to Stores as required.
- Reports equipment and material defects as required.
- Participates in Hands On and Director Approved training and trains staff as required.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Must possess 2 years of relevant post-secondary education or 90 Continuing Education Units in a field deemed appropriate by the Ministry of the Environment
- Must possess a valid passing grade on the Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection Operator in Training exam
- Must be able to understand sewer and water distribution maps and construction drawings and possess basic drawing skills and legible writing to prepare accurate reports and sketches
- Must have mechanical aptitude
- Must be capable of reporting (written and/or verbal) on water systems conditions or problems.
- Must be capable of issuing and accurately comprehending written/oral information and instructions.
- Must be tactful and courteous with the public
- Must be at basic skill level in word processing, and spreadsheet software
- Must be reliable and have the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence, or equivalent
- Must meet the definition of a competent driver as defined by the Corporation
- Must be competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, as amended
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Within 2 years of hire, must attain and maintain a Class I Waste Water Operator Licence and a Class I Water Distribution Certificate
- Within 4 years of hire, must attain and maintain a Class II Waste Water Operator Licence and a Class II Water Distribution Certificate
- Within 6 years of hire, must attain and maintain a Class III Waste Water Operator Licence and a Class III Water Distribution Certificate
- Within 7 years of hire, must attain and maintain a Class IV Water Distribution Certificate
- Must maintain the level of the waste water collection and water distribution systems
- Must remain a competent driver as defined by the Corporation
- May be required to provide a successful driver’s record (uncertified)
- Must undergo a successful Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (CRJMC)
- Must work weekends and shifts as required
- Must be able to work in adverse weather conditions and with sewage.
- Must be physically capable to perform the duties of the job
- Must be able to meet the response times for Standby as stipulated in the Environment Divisions Standard Operating Procedures
|Job Category||Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection Operator|