Position Title: Environmental Technician \ Meter Reader \ OIT
Department: Water & Wastewater Operations
Reports to: Environmental Supervisor
Openings: One (1)
Status: Regular Full Time, OPSEU
Department: Water and Wastewater Operations
Hours: 40 hours per week
Wage Rate: $22.44 / hour (starting rate) – $ 28.05 (2021 Rates)
Closing Date:November 28, 2021
We are currently seeking a Environmental Technician \ Meter Reader \ OIT as a member of the Water and Wastewater Services team. This position will report directly to the Supervisor of Water and Wastewater Services and will be responsible for maintaining water meters and appurtenances, resolving issues related to consumptions, readings and inquiries from metered customers.
As our ideal candidate, you will hold a secondary school diploma or equivalent along with a water meter installer’s certificate and a class “G” drivers license. You will have superior communication and interpersonal skills along with computer literacy and the ability to operate small tools and multiple pieces of electronic equipment. A water or wastewater treatment/OIT license would be an asset.
Under the direction of the Environmental Supervisor, this role is responsible for maintaining water meters and appurtenances, resolving issues related to consumptions, readings and inquiries from metered customers.
Duties & Responsibilities
Water Meter Servicing
• Log leak status reports.
• Issues Courtesy Leak Delivery Notices to those that fit the set criteria.
• Leak status checks when required.
• Maps and diagrams water locations; logs jobs completed.
Consumption Data Collection
• Read meters when and where required.
• Reorganize the meter reading routes when required.
• Load and unload meter reading equipment using computer software.
• Print/save reads and reports using computer software.
• Review reports for reading or consumption errors.
• Perform Data Logging service when required.
• Prepare and present findings of the Data Logger service when required using computer software.
• Check for and collect final reads when required.
• Assist Operators in operations and maintenance of water and wastewater systems as needed.
• Installs water lines and sewer lines; disconnects service lines; installs and removes fire hydrants; installs and repairs valves.
• Assists in general water meter maintenance activities such as installation, removal, and repair.
• Will be trained to operate specialized equipment,
• Checks vehicles to insure proper and safe operation; performs routine maintenance and emergency repairs; reports mechanical problems to supervisor.
• Operates light and heavy equipment on a limited basis as assigned.
• Assists in the operation of the valve turning trailer..
• Performs related duties as assigned
Qualifications & Requirements
• Must have a Secondary School Graduation Diploma or equivalent.
• Water Treatment and Wastewater Treatment OIT Licenses preferred
• Must have a valid unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License – Class “G”.
• Superior interpersonal skills are required to deal with customers.
• Must possess a Water Meter Installer’s certificate.
• Capable of operating multiple pieces of electronic equipment and small tools.
• Must be computer literate and have working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Internet skills; Word, Excel, Outlook.
• Must have knowledge of proper Occupational Health and Safety practices in the Workplace.
Effort / Physical Demands
• Lifting, pulling pushing, pulling, and climbing on a daily basis. Lifting and moving various pieces of equipment (i.e. pipes and pumps, chlorine jugs) ranging in weight from about 60 lbs.
• Sitting, standing, lifting, walking in an office, construction site, and outside environment on regular basis.
• Work in heat, cold and in various weather conditions.
• Times of working in confirmed spaces which are not well lit or ventilated.
• Use of chemicals for various stages of treatment.
• Periods of sitting when completing paperwork, reviewing documents, etc.
• Duration of each physical demands varies by task, can last minutes to hours.
• Operation of corporate vehicle for travel to various facilities and sites throughout the Town on a daily basis
Work environment contains high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations. The probability of serious injury is considerable due to the following:
• Working in confined spaces where environment is not well lit or ventilated, wet and damp;
• Working with hazardous chemicals for various stages of treatment;
• Working in various noisy areas with extreme temperatures;
• Working with 600/347 V three phase electrical and electrical generation equipment.
• Considerable travel required within municipality in the outdoor environment subject to potential extreme weather conditions.
• Working in mechanical shop environment with various equipment, chemicals, materials, noise etc.
• Periods of time in office environment reviewing documents, preparing correspondence, etc.
APPLY IN CONFIDENCE TO: The Town of Midland uses the Deltek Applicant Tracking System (ATS) to post jobs and accept applications.
Link – Employment Opportunities
No Phone Call Please
The Town of Midland is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the recruiting process. Please advise the Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. The Town of Midland is a scent sensitive environment and we ask all applicants to refrain from wearing scents should they attend our offices.
Note: We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.