The Region of Durham is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion within its community and organization, and strongly welcomes and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, women, persons who live with disabilities, people from 2SLGBTQI+ communities and people from diverse communities.
In accordance with the AODA Act, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities.
Job ID: 15428 – District Supervisor – Plant Operations (Water)
Job Number: 383
Open: Jun 20, 2022 / Close: Jul 20, 2022
This position will be located at Water Supply Plants, North or East, in the Region of Durham.
Reporting to the Superintendent of Plant Operations, this position is responsible and accountable for the supervision of the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of various Water Treatment, Distribution and Supply Systems in the Region of Durham, ensuring that facility operations are carried out in an environmentally responsible, safe, and cost effective manner.
The incumbent will:
– Be considered the Overall-Responsible-Operator (ORO) and supervisor for the operations and maintenance of the various Water Supply Systems under the applicable water Regulations
– Develop operational expertise in the three water hubs (Norht, East and South).
– Direct and instruct Chief Maintenance Operators, Maintenance Operators, and administrative staff, developing schedules and making adjustments as necessary
– Develop and implement contingency plans to deal with emergency breakdowns in order to prevent or mitigate regulatory non-compliance situations
– Review process data and laboratory results and identify concerns with process then initiate required adjustments to ensure regulatory compliance
– Prepare, monitor and control the budgets for the area within the purchasing by-laws
– Provide appropriate staffing, training and staff development
– Represent Plant Operations in the design, construction and the commissioning of new and existing facilities
– Liase with public, politicians, other internal departments, consultants and regulatory bodies regarding the operation of the plant
– Work in accordance with the provisions of applicable health and safety legislation and all corporate/departmental policies and procedures related to occupational health and safety
The successful applicant will possess:
– A two-year post-secondary education in a related field
– Many years in the municipal water industry with extensive recent experience in operations and maintenance of water treatment and distribution facilities
– Several years of direct supervisory experience
– A Class 3 Water Treatment Certificate from the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) Operator Certification Program
– A Class 1 Water Distribution (and Supply) Certificate from the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) Operator Certification Program
– Knowledge and understanding of Occupational Health and Safety Act and associated Regulations, Ontario Water Resources Act, Ontario Drinking Water Quality Standard, Environmental Protection Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act and all applicable Regulations as well as public health protection principles and practices
– Knowledge of computerized operating and maintenance management systems, computer assisted and automated plant operations and various computer operating systems and software applications
– Knowledge of Regional policies and procedures including the Purchasing By-Law
– Superior judgment, decision making and time management abilities as well as problem solving, conceptual and data analysis skills
– Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
– Supervisory skills including teambuilding, conflict resolution, planning and organizational skills
– A Class G Driver’s Licence and the use of a reliable car
Candidates who have their Class 2 Water Treat Certificate with a Class 3 exam passed and experience/education requirement met from the MOECC Operator Certification Program will be considered but preference will be given to candidates with a Class 3 or higher
Candidates who have their Class 1 or 2 Water Distribution (and Supply) Certificate will be required to write, pass and hold their Class 3 within one or two years depending on their existing level of certification; preference will be given to candidates with a Class 3
Management & Exempt Salary Grade 7
– Salary: $104,048 to $130,060 per annum
Conditions of Employment
Proof of education, qualifications and any other job bona fide requirements will be required prior to start date.
In addition, all Region of Durham employees must be fully vaccinated upon hire to meet the Region’s Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Policy. As required, exemptions will comply with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
External Application Process
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted.
Please apply online using the following link: no later than midnight (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
The Region of Durham is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Recruiter will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region’s Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.