Posting date: January 9, 2023
Job Title: Distribution and Collection Operator A (Trouble Investigator)
Number of Vacancies: 1
Posting number: EX23-025
Status: Limited position
Estimated Probable Duration: Seven (7) months
Should there be no fully qualified candidate for this position, a less qualified candidate who can be expected to meet the required qualifications within a reasonable period may be considered for this position as a training/development opportunity.
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Shift Work Required: Yes
Range of Pay: $30.88 to $34.92 per hour (Training Opportunity range of pay is $29.34 to $33.17 per hour. The successful candidate will be paid at the reduced range until the minimum qualifications have been met.)
Start date: To follow selection process
Initial Reporting Location: Frobisher
Section: Distribution and Collection
Division: Linear Infrastructure Services
Department: Growth and Infrastructure
Duties: Under the supervision of a Distribution and Collection Foreperson:
1. Act as Operator-In-Charge and assume responsibility for the operation and maintenance of CGS’s distribution and collection system facilities and infrastructure.
2. Responsible for conducting investigations concerning immediate problems and complaints in any phase of CGS’s water/wastewater operations as directed.
3. Make immediate repairs or operational adjustments when qualified to do so, or report to or acquire action by qualified personnel to rectify the situation.
4. Ensure that required logbook entries and comprehensive reports on all investigations are completed.
5. Responsible for overseeing the activities of a crew engaged in minor construction and maintenance projects.
6. Will be required to work on a seven (7) day/twenty-four (24) hour shift schedule, as directed.
7. Collect samples, perform routine lab tests and document results.
8. Respond to roads and transportation trouble calls.
9. Direct and instruct other operators and/or junior employees in the safe and efficient operation of water/wastewater systems and facilities.
10. Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of CGS’s Safety Manual and the applicable Provincial Legislation listed therein.
11. Perform other related duties as required.
• Successful completion of Secondary School (Grade XII) Education.
• Applicants must possess and maintain, at a minimum, Water Distribution Level I certification and Waste Water Collection Level 1 certification. This is a provincially legislated requirement.
• Higher levels of certification considered a definite asset.
• Must have a minimum of two (2) years experience in water/wastewater operations.
• Able to effectively complete M.M.M.S. Crew Cards.
• Prepare reports and exercise good judgement in dealing with emergency conditions and with the general public.
• Able to communicate effectively with mobile radio equipment.
• Must be able to read and interpret key plans such as as-built drawings, standard plans and specifications and associated equipment operating manuals.
• Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with the public, staff and outside agencies in a courteous and effective manner.
• Complete knowledge of streets and roads within CGS.
• Excellent use of English; verbally and in writing.
• Satisfactory health, attendance and former employment history.
• May require the use of a CGS vehicle on CGS business. Must be physically capable of operating a vehicle safely, possess a valid driver’s licence, and have an acceptable driving record.
• Must provide, at own cost, a Criminal Record Check.
Note: A Criminal Record Check will be requested by the Hiring Manager should you be the candidate of choice. Please do not submit your Criminal Record Check with your application.
Résumés quoting job posting number EX23-025 are invited and will be received by the City of Greater Sudbury’s Human Resources and Organizational Development Division, by e-mail at email@example.com or fax at 705-688-3979, for the above noted position until 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, January 24, 2023. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered.
All City of Greater Sudbury employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City’s mandatory Vaccination Policy. Please do not submit your proof of vaccination with your resume. This information will only be required if you are selected as the candidate of choice.
*Interested applicants who have questions regarding certification are encouraged to visit the OWWCO website at www.owwco.ca
All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, and you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process you must advise the Hiring Manager.
The City of Greater Sudbury is dedicated to maintaining an equitable, inclusive, diverse and accessible work environment. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. To find out if you’re eligible and for more information, visit our Applicants Living Outside of Canada web page. If you received your education from an educational institution outside of Canada, a copy of your Word Education Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) document is required, along with your credentials. Personal information submitted will be used for the purpose of determining suitability for this competition only in accordance with The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
For more information, please visit our websi
|Job Category||Distribution and Collection Operator A (Trouble Investigator)|