The District of Muskoka is seeking an Area Manager to join our Water & Wastewater Operations team within the Engineering & Public Works department.
The District is responsible for operating and maintaining all municipal water and wastewater systems (including lagoons) within its six Area Municipalities. The District’s primary role is to protect the environment and, by association, protect source water for drinking water and the integrity of the surface water within Muskoka, all in accordance with current acts and regulations. Municipal wastewater is treated at nine municipal sewage systems and nine hauled sewage lagoons. Reporting to the Director of Water & Wastewater Operations, the Area Manager is responsible for managing the operation, maintenance and repair of Muskoka’s public water treatment, storage & distribution systems. Additional accountabilities include wastewater collection, treatment & disposal systems in a designated area.
The Area Manager is responsible for, but not limited to:
• Acts as “Overall Responsible Operator” (ORO) for Muskoka as defined in provincial statutes
• Prepares, monitors and controls work plans for water and sewage works, including standard operating
• Responsible for expenditures on the operation, maintenance and repair of water and sewage works
• Prepares requests for quotations/proposals in accordance with corporate procurement
• Ensures that all operations comply with certificates of approval and applicable regulations
• Ensures that scheduled maintenance requirements are carried out and recorded
• Produces annual reports for assigned facilities/locations
• Participates in the development of operating budgets and advises senior management on the content of the capital budget and ten-year capital forecast
• Reviews and comments on engineering designs for new and/or upgraded facilities
• Manage employees in a manner consistent with District values, policies and procedures, including selection, work scheduling, training and performance evaluation.
• Ensure that employees work safely and in compliance with the relevant statutes and regulations and with the safe work procedures and directives as established by the District.
• Maintains effective communications with customers, elected officials and staff at all levels of government
• Arranges, participates in and reports to senior management on training programs
• Administers by-law enforcement programs
• Undertakes standby duties on a rotational basis as required
Why the District of Muskoka?
Muskoka is a great place to live and play! We are a four-season municipality that offers a balance between family life and work. We are built around supportive and caring communities that are always growing, with wonderful schools and facilities. Watch our video to learn more!
What you will bring to us
The Area Manager will have demonstrated technological proficiency in addition to developed leadership, organization, written and oral communication skills. Working knowledge of computer assisted engineering methods and management information systems is required. Preference will be given to applicants with a three-year community college program in a related field or equivalent, with more than five years of directly related post-graduate experience including two years of progressive related management experience.
Candidates must meet all certification, licensing and other requirements prescribed in the prevailing regulations in order to qualify as the ORO. Demonstrated familiarity with provincial and federal environmental statutes and municipal engineering standards and practices is essential along with a valid Ontario driver’s license.
What We Offer
The District offers a competitive salary package, including a comprehensive health and dental benefits plan, and enrollment in the OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan. We foster a professional, friendly and supportive team atmosphere and continuously strive to provide a working environment where the best people want to work.
We have a strong focus on health & wellness, as well as community involvement – the people who work at the District are passionate about the community that they live in! The District is committed to creating and promoting diversity, accessibility and inclusion in the workplace.
The Annualized Salary range for this management position is:
$ 87,300 – $ 102,784
How to Apply
If you have the necessary skills, experience and qualifications, and can support our Vision and Values of RISE (Respect and Integrity, Innovative Leadership, Synergy and Experiences),
please review the “How to Apply” instructions on our Website and then submit your application: https://www.muskoka.on.ca/en/district-government/Career-Opportunities.aspx
Once you have reviewed the instructions, please click on the “Apply Now” link, next to the posting, to submit your application in the specified format. If an “Apply Now” link does not exist, we are no longer accepting applications to the posting.
POSTING CLOSING DATE: Friday, July 24, 2020 @ 12:00 NOON
The District Municipality of Muskoka is committed to meeting its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please advise the Human Resources department as soon as possible. Accommodation may be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Any questions regarding this posting should be directed to the Human Resources Department.
|Job Category||Water operations|