Date: September 13, 2021
Position: Water and Wastewater Operator 1
Positions Available: One (1)
Union Affiliation: CUPE Local 1542
Department: Infrastructure Services (Public Works)
Wage Rate: $28.89 per hour plus applicable shift premium
Located in the heart of South Western Ontario, the Township of Woolwich surrounds the Cities of Waterloo, Kitchener and Cambridge, and is within minutes of the City of Guelph. Woolwich is not only known for its farms and farm markets, but also its industry, trails and providing a rural lifestyle with all the conveniences of the city. Woolwich is comprised of an extensive rural area along with residential communities and industrial/commercial areas.
Infrastructure Services is seeking one (1) Water and Wastewater Operator Class 1.
Responsibilities, knowledge and skills:
The successful candidates will work as a team and be responsible to:
• Perform wide variety of maintenance and operational activities on the Township’s various water distribution and wastewater collection systems including, but not be limited to, water sampling, water meter installation, reading and repair, maintenance and repair of water and sewer infrastructure, sewage lift station maintenance and the collection and recording of operational data
• Participate in Winter Control operations as required
• Respond to and investigate complaints/concerns from the public as required
• Must be willing to work extended hours and be able to respond to before and after hours’ emergency call-outs
• Perform other operational activities as assigned
Other Responsibilities and Duties:
• Participate in training to ensure that all required licenses and MECP certifications are maintained
• Participate in supplementary training related to Public Works Operations (e.g. Confined Space, Spill Response, MTO Book 7, Trenching, WHMIS, Chain Saw, Health and Safety and First Aid)
• Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS, Qualifications/work requirements:
• Ontario Secondary School Diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate
• Current MECP Class 1 Water (Distribution or Distribution and Supply) and Wastewater (Collection) program or possess a valid Class 2, or greater, in Water (Distribution or Distribution and Supply) or equivalent as outlined by the MECP
• Ability to work effectively and fairly with the public and provide a high level of customer service
• Hold a valid “D” with “Z” endorsement driver’s license and possess a good driving record
• Ability to communicate effectively, and work independently, as well as part of a team
• Demonstrates a good work ethic and respect for supervisors and peers
• Good record keeping skills
• Must have completed training or have had previous experience in the operation of tandem trucks
• Physically able to perform the required duties
Hours of Work:
• 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday to Friday
• Willing to work extended hours and be able to respond to before and after hours emergency call-outs
• Participation in Winter Operations will be required with periodic shift changes
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 4:00 pm on Monday, September 20, 2021. Please quote job posting 2021-35.
External applicants will be considered after the internal process has been completed. Resumes received after submission deadlines will be retained on file for six months and will be reviewed on an as-needed basis. We thank all applicants – only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Information collected will be used in accordance with Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of job selection. The Township of Woolwich is committed to diversity and inclusion and offers an accessible workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to meeting the needs of applicants during all phases of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats, or with accessible communication supports, upon request.