DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services Department
BRANCH:Operations, Maintenance and Monitoring Branch
Salary: $44.63 to $48.51 per hour
LOCATION: 145 Harry Walker Parkway, Newmarket
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
SCHEDULED WEEKLY HOURS: 37.5
SCHEDULED SHIFTS: 0830 – 1630
START DATE: Immediate
This is a Replacement Union position – CUPE Local 905 (York Region Unit)
Reporting to the Program Manager, OMM Process Optimization and Analytics, is responsible for providing technical leadership and support to analyze, monitor and optimize drinking water quality and treatment process performance; supporting OMM in the implementation of new treatment processes and/or process improvements; leading or supporting bench, pilot, and/or full scale projects gathering and analyzing data related to water quality and treatment performance; coordinating and/or supporting water quality and treatment research projects in collaboration with outside agencies; assisting the Program Manager with preparation of budgets for water quality/process related projects and activities.
- Transfers water and wastewater quality data to Branch staff, other municipalities, the MOE and other project teams, as required.
- Assists in developing standards and policies for treatment processes as it relates to data collection and management for OMM.
- Prepares reports based on analysis to advise appropriate staff of issues identified for follow-up actions.
- Monitors and analyzes water quality treatment process performance trends and reports.
- Supports capital group by reviewing and addressing water quality and process issues.
- Delivers water quality process and performance related training, as applicable.
- Participates in projects including research that support innovation in treatment and distribution systems.
- Conducts technical assessments and reviews, both in the field and laboratory settings.
- Liaises with internal branch and cross-department staff to provide data for compliance and other programs.
- Identifies, initiates, scopes, and performs or supports water quality related projects and initiatives as applicable.
- Participates in and/or supports activities including monitoring water supply from Peel and Toronto.
- Performs statistical analysis of water quality data using Site FX, Excel, SCADA or other specialized software.
- Liaises with a variety of outside agencies including the Ontario Water Works Association (OWWA), Universities, engineering consultants, Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP), Ministry of Health (MOH), Conservation Authorities, Local Municipalities, Regional/Provincial Governments, and key stakeholder groups.
- Supports the development of responses to stakeholder/customer enquiries and/or complaints, concerning projects or operational related issues, as required.
- Successful completion of three (3) year Community College Diploma in Environmental or Applied Science Technology or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in a municipal water industry including direct experience in the operations and maintenance of a municipal water and wastewater treatment and distribution/collection system.
- Must be able to obtain a Water Quality Analyst Certificate and/or Ontario Operator Certificate in Water Treatment, within six months of appointment.
- Knowledge of the Ontario Safe Drinking Water Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Ontario Regulation 170/03, Drinking Water Systems, Ontario Drinking Water Quality Standards, Regulation 169/03 and other applicable legislation pertaining to the municipal water industry.
- Knowledge of advanced chemistry analytical methods, geology and hydrogeology principles, well operations, environmental sampling methodologies, laboratory methods, groundwater servicing, municipal water supply treatment and operating procedures and quality standards.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer focus, communication, collaboration and personal ownership.
Please apply online by September 15th, 2021 at 4.30pm. As an alternative, you can apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All job vacancies are recorded on a 24-Hour Career Line and may be accessed by calling 1-877-464-9675 ext.75508.
We thank all candidate for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.