|Posted:||Friday, August 28, 2020|
|Job Type:||Permanent Full-time, Union|
|Closing Date:||Sunday, September 13, 2020|
The City of Barrie is a vibrant, progressive and growing community with deep connections to our heritage, to nature and to the opportunities surrounding us.
Our community values quality of life; the ability to play year-round with 300 hectares of park space, our beautiful waterfront, our lively downtown core and the nearby hills, wetlands and forests. We also value connections; to our neighbours and the community, to our road and rail network, and to the opportunity Barrie provides to enjoy life.
Everything Barrie has to offer, from the water we drink to the roads we travel on, has one thing in common – municipal workers. Joining a municipality is one of the most rewarding, engaging and exciting careers you could choose. It is a career you can take pride in knowing that every day you make a positive impact on an entire community. We are one team, with one goal and we all work together to continue making our community great.
WATER DISTRIBUTION SERVICES LEAD HAND
The Water Operations Branch is part of the Infrastructure Department of the Infrastructure and Growth Management Division. The branch’s key responsibilities include the operation and maintenance of the City’s environmental infrastructure and systems including water supply, treatment and distribution systems. This includes the repair and maintenance of drinking water treatment systems, water mains, valves, hydrants, residential main shut off valves, repair and replacement and water meters for service billing; the inspection of water mains and services; the installation of Industrial / Commercial / Institutional water services and meters, new home meters and hydrant metered gate valves; the Backflow Prevention Program; the resolution of water quality or water pressure issues/complaints; the maintenance of City standard drawing details for water specifications; and the prevention of infrastructure damage through the locating services for all of the City of Barrie’s buried infrastructure in accordance with “One Call” legislation.
The Water Distribution Services Lead Hand co-ordinates the daily operations and maintenance of the Drinking Water Distribution System to ensure the delivery of continuous potable and emergency water supply to the City of Barrie residents.
The Lead Hand schedules and co-ordinates work for the Water Distribution staff, and assists the Water Distribution Project Operators & the Water Services Field Coordinator with there projects which include, but are not limited to, the commissioning and assumption of new infrastructure involving the review of plans and drawings for compliance and standards, swabbing, pressure testing, super chlorination and sampling; large diameter main break repairs and associated contract administration functions required. They promote and adhere to the Watermain Disinfection Procedure set out by the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP).
This position continuously promotes and maintains effective communications and teamwork practices with co-workers and other Sectional staff and supervisors, facilitates and participates in meetings, and endorses accountability, flexibility and adaptable. The position may act as the Supervisor and ORO as assigned.
Our Culture and Qualifications of the Job
- Your workplace values align with our corporate values of Strive, Share and Care and you want to join us in providing exceptional services and programs to build a prosperous, growing and sustainable community
- Two (2) year College Diploma, Mechanical Engineering Technician, Electrical Engineering Technician, Civil Engineering Technician, and/or Environmental Engineering Technician
- Ministry of Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) Class III Certificate in Water Distribution
- Five (5) years of demonstrated related experience operating and maintaining a drinking water distribution system and as required to obtain Ministry of Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) Class III Certificate in Water Distribution including two (2) years of experience as an Operator-in-Charge and two (2) years of experience in a leadership role
- Proven project management experience with the commissioning and assumption of new infrastructure.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain the Journeyman Water Meter Installer license within 6 months.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certificate within 6 months.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain the Confined Space Entry/Rescue Certificates within 6 months.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain the Propane Handling Certificate within 6 months.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain First Aid and CPR Certification within 6 months.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain a DZ Drivers License within 6 months.
- Possess or have the ability to complete Trench Safety Training within 6 months.
- Medical documentation to confirm medically fit to wear a respirator
- Thorough working knowledge of applicable legislation including Ontario Water Drinking Regulations, Ontario Drinking Water Standards, Drinking Water Works Permit, Permit to Take Water, Safe Drinking Water Act, Municipal Drinking Water License, the Drinking Water Quality Management Standard, American Water Works Standards, Disinfection of Drinking Water in Ontario and Ontario Water Resources Act.
- Excellent working knowledge in the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and WHMIS.
- Proven record keeping abilities.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in, core competences including customer services, communication, teamwork, initiative/self-management and accountability and flexibility/ adaptability.
- Computer literacy utilizing Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Internet Explorer.
- Proven interpersonal, time management, analytical and problem solving skills. Successful staff leadership skills and proven ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and create drawings and plans.
- Ability to lift and carry objects in excess of 10 kg on an occasional basis.
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
Other Important Information
Location: Surface Water Treatment Plant, 20 Royal Parkside Drive, Barrie, Ontario
Hours:The normal hours of work are 40 hours per week in accordance with the Collective Agreement
Wage: This position is within the CUPE Local 2380 Bargaining Unit with the following pay level and a 2020 pay range:
- Pay Level: Level 9
- Yearly Salary: $82,129.36 to $98,352.71 per year
- Hourly Pay Rate: $39.49 to $47.29 per hour
Benefits:This position includes a comprehensive union benefit plan, including but not limited to extended health and dental coverage, life and accident insurance, paid vacation and sick days, short/long term disability plans, OMERS pension plan, discounted rate for City Fitness Memberships and much more.
The Application Process
Please submit your resume electronically by quoting PC-20-20 Water Distribution Services Lead Hand in the subject line (MS Word or pdf format only) to email hire.me@Barrie.ca by Sunday, September 13, 2020.
Don’t meet the credentials as outlined but have years of directly related experience? Please see the City’s Education Equivalency Procedure to determine if you may qualify for equivalency. Further information is available at www.barrie.ca/JobOpps.
- • Position Equivalency Code: C
Please note that verification of educational credentials will be required from the preferred candidate prior to an employment offer.
The City of Barrie is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Personal information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) for the purpose of candidate selection.
Disclaimer: The job posting has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of employees to do this job. For full position details, please request a copy of the Job Description by emailing hire.me@Barrie.ca.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.