The City of Quinte West invites applications for the following full-time position:
Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection Operator Public Works and Environmental Services
Reporting to the Superintendent of Water/Wastewater Services, the Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection Operator is responsible for completing various tasks and operating equipment as assigned to ensure that the municipal water/wastewater infrastructure and related municipal properties are maintained in a safe and reliable manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will:
- Operate a backhoe as required to excavate the work site, maintain and service the equipment as required.
- Operate, maintain and undertake minor construction within a water distribution system and wastewater collection system which includes but is not necessarily limited to, mains, hydrants, valves, services, maintenance holes, etc.
- Operate mechanical equipment pertaining to the operation and maintenance of the utility such as hydraulic pipe cutters, tapping machines, cut-off saws, chainsaws, valve turners, leak detection and pipe thawing equipment, etc.
- Assemble and install piping of various materials such as copper, galvanized iron, cast iron, ductile iron, cement, asbestos, concrete and PVC of various sizes, maintenance holes, cleanouts, etc.
- Join pipe and fitting together by means of compression, flanged, leaded, mechanical and tyton joints.
- Repair leaking pipes by using various industry accepted fittings and practices.
- Perform necessary clean-up and restoration such as placing cold mix, sweeping, spreading top soil and sodding or seeding as required.
- Assume the responsibilities of Water and Wastewater Collection Foreperson as assigned.
- Brush trimming, grass cutting, snow clearing and maintaining utility property as required.
- Locate and mark existing water and sewer mains and services as required.
- Drive and operate utility trucks and equipment.
- Assist when required, hired excavation equipment for the installation, repair, maintenance or replacement of water/sewer mains, services, maintenance holes and appurtenances, etc.
- Excavate by hand or with a pick and shovel when necessary.
- Break asphalt and rock with compressor (jackhammer) and operate hand compact equipment as required.
- Be available for on-call duties as required.
- Participate and be available for after hours and weekend work as required.
- Trouble shoot to identify, locate and repair systems as required.
- Assist the Meter/Service Persons and roads staff as required.
- Be courteous to the public and show respect for equipment, etc.
- Be aware of and follow the OHSA and other City policies.
Note: Above duties are representative of a typical position and are not to be construed as all-inclusive.
The position will require:
- Minimum Grade 12 Graduation Diploma.
- Valid Certification in Water Distribution and Wastewater Collection Class II.
- Valid Class D Driver’s Licence with a Z endorsement.
- Valid Class G Driver’s Licence and safe driving record.
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to work from work orders, specifications, sketches, standards and instructions and to interpret plan/profile drawings, sketches and diagrams.
- Demonstrated understanding of municipal urban and semi-urban infrastructure matters specific to water distribution and wastewater collection as well as equipment utilized in the water/wastewater system.
- Computer and record keeping skills.
- Excellent physical and mental health.
- A Valid Confined Space Certificate is considered an asset.
A minimum of three (3) years of experience in the field of municipal water distribution and wastewater collection systems is required. Demonstrated experience operating heavy equipment/machinery is preferred.
Remuneration: 2021 C.U.P.E. Salary Grid Band 8 – $32.33/hr – $33.66/hr
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is used to determine eligibility for potential employment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the City of Quinte West is pleased to accommodate individual needs of applicants with disabilities within the recruitment process. Please call 613-392-2841 x1106 or email email@example.com if you require an accommodation to ensure your participation in the recruitment and selection process.