Job Title: Water Treatment Operator
Department: Wastewater/Water Treatment Operations
Pay Rate Range: $29.85-$37.35 Closing: January 21, 2021
Position Details: Permanent Full-Time (40 hrs/week) Class: IBEW Union
Primary Duties :
Reporting to the Supervisor of Treatment Operations, the incumbent operates and monitors all City owned water pumping stations, water towers and treatment facilities on a rotating 12 hr shift schedule that includes days, nights and weekend shifts. Primary duties include:
1. Ensure that all operations are in compliance with safety regulations and with MECP regulations through SCADA monitoring, process control, basic laboratory analysis, equipment calibration, trouble shooting of electrical and mechanical systems, process sampling, recording and reporting of data.
2. Assist in the repair of all electrical and mechanical equipment.
3. Undertake janitorial, building maintenance and grounds keeping as required.
4. Perform other duties as assigned by the Treatment Operations Supervisor and or Manager as it relates to water plant operation.
5. Function as Overall Responsible Operator (ORO) for the Water Treatment subsystem as required, upon completion of the required licensing and experience.
Education, Licences/Certification and Other Qualifications Required:
- 2 to 3-year Diploma from an accredited college in an environmental / civil engineering field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum Level 1 MECP certification in Water Treatment is desirable. Water Treatment certification at Level 2 or above is preferred. In addition, Water distribution certification will be an asset.
- Confined space entry training and Utility Work Protection Code training will be an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of the regulations that apply to water treatment.
- Thorough knowledge of the water treatment/distribution process.
- Thorough knowledge of sampling techniques and instrumentation associated with sampling.
- Familiarity with utility industry safety rules as well as the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certificate will be an asset.
- Initiative and ability to work with minimum supervision, ability to work well as a member of a team.
- Proficient verbal and written communications skills, including good public relations skills.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Familiarity with SCADA systems will be an asset.
Special Working Conditions/Conditions of Employment:
- Applicant must be capable of walking, lifting and climbing and perform the physical demands of the position.
- Acquire and maintain the minimum licensing requirements in Water Treatment.
- Maintain a valid Class “G” driver’s license throughout employment.
- Must be reliable and able to work shift rotation, including night shift and weekends.
- A criminal record check satisfactory to Utilities Kingston at the successful candidate’s own expense.