The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life – all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The successful candidate will supervise staff dedicated to monitoring compliance of water, wastewater and solid waste, including adherence to the Safe Drinking Water Act, Environmental Protection Act, Clean Water Act, Environmental Compliance Approvals and other applicable legislation. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City’s Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Vision for an inclusive, connected and prosperous city.
• Provide visible and positive leadership to compliance staff developing and nurturing a work environment that is inclusive, respectful and motivating for staff.
• Responsible for the development, coordination, and scheduling of work plans.
• Oversee environmental compliance and quality management systems, keeping up to date on changes to legislation and provincial consultations, updates to the DWQMS and the development and updates to the environmental management quality systems for wastewater and solid waste.
• Work with the Environmental Services management team to conduct internal audits, manage external audits and ministry inspections.
• Develop and practice emergency exercises, identify opportunities for improvement and document all compliance related decisions.
• Monitor, review, summarize and ensure compliance with applicable legislation and regulations including support for the preparation of regulatory reports.
• Adheres to all applicable legislation, including ECAs and supports the department in adherence to legislation.
• Maintain positive working relationships with the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks.
• Works with corporate partners to deliver compliance and performance objectives, develops effective working relationships with all internal support departments.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through successful completion of a post-secondary degree in Environmental Studies, Engineering, Engineering Technologist or related discipline and extensive experience in environmental services related environment such as solid waste, water or wastewater preferably in an operational municipal setting. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Experience supervising staff or leading work teams, preferably in a unionized environment.
• Experience developing ISO14001 management systems and maintaining accreditation.
• Excellent communication skills, with ability to communicate effectively with staff, contractors and the general public.
• Excellent problem solving techniques and the application of good judgment consistent with industry “best practices.”
• Excellent motivational and team building skills.
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and timelines.
• Knowledge of all applicable provincial and federal legislation and regulation, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation and specifications.
• Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
• Knowledge of budget preparation processes and control.
• Must possess a valid Class G driver’s licence with a good driving record.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets the requirements.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, February 7, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.