The Township of Centre Wellington is a thriving and growing community of 28,000 residents with diverse urban and rural settings. Its close proximity to Guelph and Kitchener-Waterloo, diverse economy, active arts community and renowned natural features are among its many lifestyle advantages.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Wastewater Services, this position is responsible for operational and maintenance of the Township’s wastewater and sewage systems including maintenance, monitoring, and emergency repairs. This position is responsible for all technical aspects of wastewater and stormwater systems including, wastewater treatment plants, sewage pumping stations, low pressure sewer systems, forcemains, mains, storm water management ponds and conveyance channels.
Provided the Operator meets the requirements under the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Wastewater Operator acts as Operator in Charge and / or Overall Responsible Operator. The Wastewater Operator is responsible for onsite operations, directs contractors and summer students as needed, participates in the on-call and call-out rotations and must be available to periodically work weekends and outside normal working hours.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
Operations and Maintenance :
• Maintain, inspect and operate all aspects of the sanitary, storm and LPS systems.
• Maintenance of all related equipment for the proper operation of the wastewater and stormwater systems including vactor, small engines, camera truck, pumps, chemical pumps, centrifuges, shredders, valves and appurtenances etc.
• Daily plant and SCADA (computer) checks, including all equipment and processes.
• Making assessments on the performance of the equipment and plants as a whole and adjusting duties/procedures/treatment processes as a result.
• Purchasing day-to-day supplies and ordering materials for repairs as needed.
• Consultation with internal and external resources as needed.
Assessment and Repairs
• Inspection and review of sewer and storm mains via CCTV and push camera.
• Storm water pond assessments.
• Utility locates as needed.
• Assess and repair infrastructure including manhole/catch basin structures.
• Assist contractors in repairs and construction.
Records and Plant Administration:
• Maintain and complete mandatory record keeping, data entry, journals and filing for all aspects of operations and maintenance, including forms development, digital files and forms and liaising with other departments to assist them with their data needs.
• Routine and special study samples and laboratory analyses.
• Customer Service and Public Relations
• Responds and provides support to internal and external concerns and questions regarding wastewater and stormwater.
• Work with public to provide guidance on dealing with lateral service blockages in accordance with Township policies and procedures.
• Conduct tours and public education.
• Must comply with OWRA, SDWA and applicable legislation.
• Continuous and successive progression to achieve a level 3 Wastewater Collection license and a level 4 Wastewater Treatment license.
• Applicable training as required and for professional development.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
• Secondary School Diploma.
• Post-secondary diploma in Environmental Sciences or a related field is considered an asset.
• Wastewater Treatment and Wastewater Collection Operator-in-Training license.
• Higher levels of wastewater licensing is considered an asset.
• Minimum three (3) years’ experience in the operation and maintenance of water or wastewater operations, including wastewater treatment and collection systems.
• Knowledge and understanding of the operation and maintenance of SCADA/PLC control systems.
• Experience in the functions and maintenance of storm water collection and storage systems.
• Knowledge and understanding of the maintenance of storm water collection and storage systems.
• Basic understanding of hydraulics, electricity, hydrology and chemistry.
• Possess and maintain a valid Class G Driver’s License with a clean driver’s abstract.
• Possess a valid Class D license with Z endorsement or be willing to obtain within 12 months of hire.
• Laboratory, computer and accurate record keeping skills.
• Possess, or be willing to obtain within 6 months, the following certifications: Confined Space Entry, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, First Aid/CPR, Working at heights, and OTM Book 7 Training.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to work independently and cooperatively with others in a fast-paced team environment.
• Regular and consistent attendance is a condition of employment.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
• Working knowledge of computer software programs such as Microsoft Office and related programs.
• Demonstrated commitment to collaboration and co-operation with co-workers and management in the provision of excellent customer service to the public.
Hourly Rate of Pay: $27.36 – $35.50 per hour [2020 Rates]
(Individual hourly rate adjusted according to held certification)
How to Apply:
Township of Centre Wellington, 1 MacDonald Square, Elora, ON N0B 1S0 via email: email@example.com
Deadline to Apply: Monday, October 12, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
To learn more about the Centre Wellington community and the requirements for this position, please visit the Township’s web site at www.centrewellington.ca and search the Job Opportunities link. Please submit your cover letter and resume in one document in .PDF format and indicate the position title in the subject line of email. The successful candidate will be required to provide proof of current and valid certificate(s) and/or educational qualifications.
Information gathered relative to this position is done so in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will only be used for candidate selection. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants must make their needs known in advance. We thank all those that apply; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.