FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
WATER/ WASTEWATER UTILITIES OPERATOR (UNION) CUPE 1701
The successful candidate will assist in the work required to operate and maintain the water treatment facility, water distribution, wastewater lagoon treatment system, wastewater collection and related pumping stations operated by the Utilities Division as per MECP regulations and procedures outlined in the Department’s operational manuals/procedures and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs and assists with daily inspections/operations of a direct filtration surface water treatment facility, watermains, elevated tower, fire hydrants, water valves, sanitary sewers, sanitary pumping stations, manholes, wastewater lagoon treatment, etc.
• Installation and repair of watermain and sanitary sewers, installation and repair of sanitary sewer laterals and water services, fire hydrants, etc.
• Reports any repairs required to trucks, mechanical equipment, electrical equipment, motors, stand-by generators, etc. on a weekly basis.
• Reports any tools, watermain pipe and fittings, fire hydrants and parts, sanitary sewer pipe and fittings, water service pipe and fittings and chemicals required.
• Reports sewage bypass to Spills Action Centre and completes applicable paperwork.
• Reports adverse water results to the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks and completes applicable paperwork.
• Enters confined space related to wastewater inspections/repairs.
• Position requires the individual to be available regularly on a rotating basis during weekends and standby duty.
QUALIFICATION AND COMPETENCIES:
• Minimum Grade 12 High School Diploma. Post-secondary education in a related discipline an asset.
• Minimum Certifications – Valid MECP Class I Certifications in Water Treatment/Distribution, Wastewater Treatment/Collection or (valid OIT Operator-in-Training Certifications will be considered) with related experience in the field and the ability to achieve Class I certifications within 6 months of hire.
• Preferred Certifications – Valid MECP Class II Certifications in Water •Treatment/Distribution and Wastewater Treatment/Collection and/or the ability to obtain Level II Certifications for all licenses.
• Competence in oral and written communication and tact in meeting with the public.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license, Class “G”
• Possession of, or agreement to obtain, a First Aid Certificate and a thorough knowledge of the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Knowledge of mechanical equipment and installation procedures related to water treatment, water distribution, wastewater pumping stations, wastewater collections and wastewater lagoon treatment systems.
Please submit applications by March 19, 2021 at 4:00 P.M.
Shellee Fournier, CAO, Town of Gananoque
30 King Street East
Gananoque Ontario, K7G 1E9
Phone: 613-382-2149 ext. 1113 or
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected, and will be only used for the purpose of the candidate selection. The Town will provide accommodation for individuals with accessibility needs.