Infrastructure Services Department
(Full-time position, 35 hours per week)
Located on the north-west edge of the Greater Toronto Area, less than one hour’s drive from Toronto and yet only moments away from the unspoiled, natural beauty of the Niagara Escarpment, the Town of Orangeville offers a location with an excellent combination of small town charm and urban amenities. Situated in the picturesque natural setting of the Hills of Headwaters, Orangeville is home to nearly 30,000 residents and is the largest urban community within the County of Dufferin.
The Manager, Environment manages the environmental functions of the Infrastructure Services Department, serving as the Town’s Risk Management Official under the Clean Water Act and directing the renewal and long-term planning for the Town’s water and wastewater infrastructure, including but not necessarily limited to wells, the water distribution system, the sewage collection system, sewage pumping stations and the Water Pollution Control Plant
Duties of the position include:
- Assume the role of Risk Management Official in accordance with the Clean Water Act, 2006 for the Town of Orangeville.
- Arrange for and/or co-ordinate capital and maintenance projects through the budget process; and write, or supervise the writing of, tenders, requests for proposals and contracts for maintenance and construction work undertaken by Infrastructure Services related to water and wastewater infrastructure.
- Oversee long-term planning and compliance activities for the Town’s water supply and distribution system, and the sewage collection and treatment system and ensure that they comply with all applicable regulations.
- Prepare capital and operating budgets; monitor projects and maintenance expenditures to ensure conformity to the approved budget; assist with the completion of applications for funding from municipal assistance programs.
- Prepare or supervise the writing of reports for Council; and as directed by the General Manager, Infrastructure Services, attend Council and Committee Meetings to represent the Infrastructure Services Department.
- Respond to enquiries from the public, Council, other departments and other levels of government regarding the Environment functions of the department.
- Assist with developing and updating written departmental policies in the areas of servicing standards, construction, and maintenance; oversee and ensure that operating records are kept and updated regularly, and review such records, report trends, and recommend changes as appropriate.
- Other such duties as assigned.
- University graduate with a degree in civil or environmental engineering, and registered as a professional engineer with the Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- Minimum five (5) years of environmental engineering experience, preferably in a municipal environment, which includes management and supervisory experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; and strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, SCADA and related public works information systems.
- Good interpersonal, financial, managerial, project, time management, organizational, analytical, research, communication, presentation, problem solving, and supervisory skills.
- Able to recognize the importance of detail, accuracy and completeness in all matters; able to work as a team member with other municipal and departmental staff in solving problems; and able to set objectives and establish an approach to reaching those objectives when completing a task.
- Current and valid Class G driver’s licence.
Salary Range: $106,761.20 to $124,888.40, Band 13 on the Town’s 2021 Pay Grid, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes, in confidence, to Sarah Alexander, Human Resources Assistant, no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, May 7, 2021. Applications may be submitted online, or in person to the Town Hall located at 87 Broadway.
The Town of Orangeville is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. By submitting your personal information to the Town of Orangeville, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of that information in connection with our recruitment, hiring and/or employment processes. Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25, as amended, and will be used to determine the qualifications for employment with the Town of Orangeville. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Manager, Human Resources at 87 Broadway, Orangeville, Ontario L9W 1K1.