The City of Markham, an award-winning municipality with more than 353,000 residents, is Canada’s high-tech capital and most diverse community, enjoying a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices. Diversity is one of Markham’s strategic priorities, and we strive to develop and maintain an environment that is inclusive and creates a sense of belonging for all.
Join us and make a lasting difference!
Reporting to the Director of Environmental Services, your responsibilities will include:
- Oversee operation and maintenance functions of City’s water, sanitary and stormwater systems including development application review, inspection and new service activation, corrective/preventive maintenance programs, responding to customer service requests and emergencies, field data collection and verification
- Oversee and administer programs in compliance with Safe Drinking Water regulations and applicable legislations/regulations/by laws/procedures including Water Quality Sampling program, watermain commissioning, sewer effluent standards and sampling. Investigates and takes immediate/effective remedial action when water contamination is found and ensures timely notification to Ministry of Environment, York Region Public Health and City officials.
- Manage City’s sanitary and storm sewer lift stations and SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) / instrumentation operations
- Manage utilities locates, to ensure locates are completed on time and to meets legislative requirements.
- Oversee appropriate studies including preparing Request for Proposals and Request for Tender, reviews / approves drawings, oversees contract administration / inspection activities, completes project closeout activities
- Ensure financial, time, and risk management strategies are applied while managing the Environmental Services operations and maintenance portfolio.
- Manage and liaise with developers, consultants, contractors and external agencies
We require the successful candidate to have a License as a professional Engineer (P. Eng.) plus have 7-10 years of progressive, related management/leadership experience in the public or broader public sector and eligible for or a holder of Ministry of the Environment (MOE)-Certified Operator Class II in Water Distribution and Class II in Wastewater Collection (or greater).
The salary range for this position is $129,840.00 To $152,763.
If you would like additional details about this opportunity and to apply, please visit www.Markham.ca/employment by June 8, 2021. Please select current opportunities and apply now.
The City of Markham is committed to inclusive, accessible and barrier free employment practices and to creating a workplace that reflects and supports the diversity of the community we serve. Please let us know if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to ensure a barrier free hiring process.