The District Municipality of Muskoka is currently recruiting for a SCADA Support Technician
The District of Muskoka is seeking a permanent full time SCADA Support Technician to join our Engineering and Public Works department.
Reporting to the Director, Water and Wastewater Services, the Scada Support Technician is responsible for SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) systems management, installation, programming and implementation of hardware and systems and provision of ongoing support to the SCADA systems including field work support to water and wastewater operations staff by assisting with troubleshooting and rectifying problems with Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and SCADA systems.
The SCADA Support Technician is responsible for, but not limited to:
• Contract administration, installation, operation, and maintenance of SCADA control systems equipment and related hardware, ensuring compatibility of SCADA system hardware, software and communications for the division.
• Oversee SCADA, PLC and automated controls commissioning work that is performed by contractors at water and wastewater facilities that may have an impact on SCADA and control systems, ensuring work is consistent with specifications of the District’s PLC programming and SCADA standards.
• Provide technical guidance to assist with the development and
updates of the technical standards, specifications and procedures.
• Perform all necessary programming including coding for SCADA PLC’s, display screen modifications and other related processes and ensure proper documentation is maintained, and consistent with current standards.
• Provide technical guidance and training to users regarding features and uses of SCADA related hardware and software, respond to inquiries, troubleshoot issues and perform repairs when required.
• Carry out preventative maintenance programs to PLC and SCADA related hardware, software and peripherals.
• Maintain & troubleshoot communication to, and from, all facilities including engaging and managing technical support from District communications vendors such as Bell.
• Request, plan, schedule, execute and report on all maintenance performed on the SCADA system in accordance with the procedures outlined in the Division’s Maintenance Policies and Procedures Manual.
• Conducting emergency critical breakdown repair by performing troubleshooting to diagnose causes of equipment failure, while acquiring the required materials or spare parts. Repair and test to verify solution with a communications status update to the plant operator.
• Maintain database of operational data memory management and historical data record keeping.
• Maintain and updates operational manuals and associated procedures.
• Act as a liaison with the public, contractors, consultants, engineers, utilities, Area municipalities, and various government agencies and acts on their concerns.
• Work safely and in compliance with relevant statutes and regulations and within the safe work procedures and directives as established by the District.
Why the District of Muskoka
Muskoka is a great place to live and play! We are a four-season municipality that offers a balance between family life and work. We are built around supportive and caring communities that are always growing, with wonderful schools and facilities. Watch our video to learn more!
As the Upper Tier Regional Municipality, we partner with the six Area Municipalities to work together through sound governance, managing the legacy of a healthy Muskoka by protecting the natural environment, driving a vibrant economy and enhancing the inclusiveness of our caring community.
What you will bring to us
We would expect that your strengths include effective written and verbal communication skills coupled with the ability to troubleshoot issues and explain the remedy to others in plain language. The ability to work with minimal supervision and make sound judgements regarding work methods are also critical success factors for this job.
On the practical side, you are a graduate of a three (3) year Community College Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology, Controls Systems and/or Automation Technology or Computer/Network Engineering Technology, preferably with a specialty in Control Systems.
You will also bring a minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in Water/Wastewater SCADA and Control Systems, or a similar work environment. Thorough knowledge in the design of SCADA systems, process control systems, instrumentation, electrical, and hydraulics and PLC Controllers (Allen Bradley contrologix, SLC500) and demonstrated experience with iFix, RSLinx and other related software products is essential for this position.
Our ideal candidate must also have knowledge of operations and maintenance of WWW plants and distribution systems and the Ontario Drinking Water Objectives. Additionally, sound overall computer skills including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project and a valid Ontario Class ‘G’ License are required.
What We Offer
The District offers a competitive wage package, including a comprehensive health and dental benefits plan, and enrollment in the OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System) pension plan. We foster a professional, friendly and supportive team atmosphere and continuously strive to provide a working environment where the best people want to work. We have a strong focus on health & wellness, as well as community involvement – the people who work at the District are passionate about the community that they live in! The District is committed to creating and promoting diversity, accessibility and inclusion in the workplace.
The probationary hourly rate for a SCADA Support Technician is $32.19. This rate increases to $35.35 per hour, per the CUPE Inside Union Collective Agreement pay grid.
How to Apply
If you have the necessary skills, experience and qualifications, and can support our Vision and Values of RISE (Respect and Integrity, Innovative Leadership, Synergy and Experiences),
please review the “How to Apply” instructions on our Website and then submit your application:
Once you have reviewed the instructions, please click on the “Apply Now” link, next to the posting, to submit your application in the specified format. If an “Apply Now” link does not exist, we are no longer accepting applications to the posting.
POSTING CLOSING DATE: Wednesday November 4, 2020 @ 12:00 NOON
The District Municipality of Muskoka is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, racially visible individuals, people with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and LGBTQ+ persons.
Our organization is committed to providing persons with disabilities with equal opportunities and standards of goods and services, and we are compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please advise the Human Resources department as soon as possible. Accommodation may be provided in all steps of the hiring process. Any questions regarding this posting should be directed to the Human Resources Department