Position Title: Environmental Operator I
Openings: One (1)
Status: Regular Full Time, OPSEU
Department: Water and Wastewater Operations
Hours: 40 hours per week
Wage Rate: $ 25.14 / hour (starting rate) – $ 31.42(2021 Rates)
Closing Date: April 30, 2021
We are currently seeking a Environmental Technician \ Meter Reader \ OIT as a member of the Water and Wastewater Services team. This position will report directly to the Supervisor of Water and Wastewater Services and will be responsible for maintaining water meters and appurtenances, resolving issues related to consumptions, readings and inquiries from metered customers.
As our ideal candidate, you will hold a secondary school diploma or equivalent along with a water meter installer’s certificate and a class “G” drivers license. You will have superior communication and interpersonal skills along with computer literacy and the ability to operate small tools and multiple pieces of electronic equipment. A water or wastewater treatment/OIT license would be an asset.
APPLY IN CONFIDENCE TO: The Town of Midland uses the Deltek Applicant Tracking System (ATS) to post jobs and accept applications. Employment Opportunities No Phone Call Please
The Town of Midland is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free environment. Accommodation will be provided in all steps of the recruiting process. Please advise the Human Resources Department if you require any accommodations to ensure you can participate fully and equally during the recruitment and selection process. The Town of Midland is a scent sensitive environment and we ask all applicants to refrain from wearing scents should they attend our offices.
Note: We thank all applicants that apply and advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, and will be used for the purpose of candidate selection.
Town of Midland – Job Description
Position Title: Environmental Operator I
Department: Water & Wastewater Operations
Reports to: Environmental Supervisor
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Perform work of an operational and maintenance nature in the Water & Wastewater Department
- Operate, inspect, maintain, and repair all equipment, buildings, confined spaces and devices in the Water & Wastewater Department.
- Collect samples for laboratory analysis and C of A compliance.
- Perform various laboratory works including all testing associated with the operation of the Water and Wastewater System.
- Assume responsibility for the operation of the Water and Wastewater Systems on weekends, holidays and such other times as directed.
- Maintain all operational manuals, records, data, schedules etc.; associated with the compliance of the Water and Wastewater System.
- Operate equipment and vehicles used in the Water & Wastewater Systems.
- Initiate and track operational changes using various computer systems, S.C.A.D.A. etc.
- Customer relations and service as required.
- Work in a team environment.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Certification required: Class 1 Wastewater Treatment, Class 1 Wastewater Collection, Class 1 Water Treatment and Class 1 Water Distribution and Supply
- Community College diploma in a related field (such as; Civil Engineering, Water/Wastewater or Environmental studies) or equivalent related experience.
- Electrical, mechanical, or plumbing background with working experience is an asset
- Minimum of 1 year of municipal water and wastewater or related experience with one (1) year OIC Experience
- Excellent interpersonal, time management, analytical, communication, problem-solving and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload, meet deadlines, be detailed oriented and accurate.
- Ability to gather, analyze and present data; along with training and experience in diagnosing problems, trouble shooting and repairing complex equipment.
- Ability to think and act strategically in a utility service environment.
- Ability to interact effectively and courteously with all levels of staff and customers in a Customer Service focused environment; build cooperative, collaborative working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Thorough working knowledge of construction, maintenance of utility operations and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- First Aid/CPR and Confined Space Entry Certification
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Nutrient Management Act (NMA), MECP Regulations and Operating Guidelines plus any other legislation relevant to the duties.
- Computer literacy utilizing word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software, SCADA, GIS Mapping and the Internet
- Valid Class ‘DZ’ Driver’s license is an asset.
- Lifting, pulling pushing, pulling, and climbing on a daily basis. Lifting and moving various pieces of equipment (i.e., pipes and pumps, chlorine jugs) ranging in weight from about 60 lbs.
- Sitting, standing, lifting, walking in an office and construction site environment on regular basis.
- Work in heat and cold and in various weather conditions.
- Times of working in confirmed spaces which are not well lit or ventilated.
- Use of chemicals for various stages of treatment.
- Periods of sitting when completing paperwork, reviewing documents, etc.
- Duration of each physical demands varies by task, can last minutes to hours.
- Operation of corporate vehicle for travel to various facilities and sites throughout the Town on a daily basis
Work environment contains high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations. The probability of serious injury is considerable due to the following:
- Working in confined spaces where environment is not well lit or ventilated, wet and damp.
- Working with hazardous chemicals for various stages of treatment.
- Working in various noisy areas with extreme temperatures.
- Working with 600/347 V three phase electrical and electrical generation equipment.
- Considerable travel required within municipality in the outdoor environment subject to potential extreme weather conditions.
- Working in mechanical shop environment with various equipment, chemicals, materials, noise etc.
- Mandatory On Call as required.
- Periods of time in office environment reviewing documents, preparing correspondence, etc.