Automation and Control Technologist #26686 (Technologist II)
DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services Department
BRANCH:Operations, Maintenance and Monitoring Branch
SALARY: $44.63 to $48.51 per hour
LOCATION: 380 Bayview Parkway, Newmarket
STATUS: Temporary Full-Time, Approx. 24 Months
SCHEDULED WEEKLY HOURS: 37.5
SCHEDULED SHIFTS: 0800 – 1600
START DATE: Immediate
This is an Addition to staff Union position – CUPE Local 905 (York Region Unit)
Reporting to the Supervisor Operations, PCS/SCADA, is responsible for providing project co-ordination, supervision of project implementation, contract administration and quality control as it relates to PCS/SCADA projects; ensuring PCS/SCADA standards are adhered to in new asset creation, upgrades and modifications; trouble shooting PCS/SCADA problems; updating and modifying PAC(Process Automation Controller) programs; conducting quality control checks and updating and maintaining procedures and program applications.
- Oversees PCS/SCADA contractors including project coordination, supervision of project implementation, contract administration and quality control as it relates to PCS/SCADA projects.
- Monitors and provides project leadership for all new or upgrade work for water/wastewater in the area of PCS/SCADA; participates in sign offs on Substantial Performance Certificate, Total Performance Certificate, end of warranty period and Completions certificate (transfer of ownership to the Branch).
- Assists in trouble shooting PCS/SCADA problems; updates, and modifies PAC, HMI and alarm programs and documents changes.
- Develops process control end devices maintenance program with maintenance staff and provides support for program implementation including CWMS database updates.
- Conducts special studies and assessments to determine SCADA infrastructure upgrade and replacement needs in conjunction with external consultants and/or Branch Operations staff, as directed.
- Conducts suitable field trials, documents findings and conclusions, makes recommendations based on acceptable business cases.
- Participates in the development and implementation of PCS/SCADA standards; ensures PCS/SCADA standards are adhered to in all new asset creation, upgrades and modifications.
- Responds to enquiries on issues related to assigned projects.
- Provides input to the Branch business unit planning process as it relates to PCS/SCADA type assets.
- Successful completion of a three (3) year Community College Diploma Program in Automation or Control Systems Technology.
- Must successfully obtain Operator-in-Training certificates in Wastewater Treatment, Wastewater Collection, Water Treatment and Water Distribution & Supply within six (6) months of commencing employment.
- Must successfully obtain Level I certificates in Wastewater Treatment, Water Treatment within time frames established in accordance Ministry of Environment regulations.
- Satisfactory Police Criminal Background Check
- Minimum three (3) years related PCS/SCADA experience, preferably in a Water/Wastewater environment.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s license in good standing.
- Knowledge of related acts, guidelines, regulations and legislation and the PCS/SCADA Standards.
- Knowledge of Asset Management best practices, concepts, risk management and capital project execution business processes.
- Ability to program, PAC’s and OIT’s.
- Ability to program various HMI packages such as, GE iFix, FactoryTalk View and Ignition
- Physical stamina and ability to work in all weather conditions; climb elevated towers; and work in confined spaces, manholes, sewers and treatment tanks, wet-wells and near high voltage electrical equipment.
- Ability to wear a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus to enter confined spaces.