Friday, February 12, 2021
C.E.C. Analytics has a mission to support the vitality of communities across Canada by detecting SARS-CoV-2 in wastewater for early warning detection. As a technology disruptor in the field of wastewater-based epidemiology, C.E.C.’s community-focused approach is breaking down previous barriers to ensure any community or business has the option to implement their technology. As new variants of COVID-19 arise, the need for early detection tool is critical to identify localized outbreaks in vulnerable populations.
As the only one-stop-shop for long-term solutions, C.E.C.’s proven process is simple, cost-effective and easy to implement in a variety of environments. It allows clients to leverage the knowledge found in their wastewater to get ahead of the curve of an outbreak, identify hotspots and develop proactive decisions to protect the communities.
● Understand the benefits of near-source detection of SARS-CoV-2 within the community as a key risk management tool.
● Share insights from case studies that demonstrate how sampling is feasible as an early warning detection for senior care homes, schools, hospitals, military, remote campsites, municipalities, indigenous communities, commercial real estate properties and more.
● Evaluate the cost effectiveness of monitoring wastewater for SARS-CoV-2 in comparison to traditional monitoring methods.
● Showcase sampling strategies that can identify and delineate virus outbreaks within buildings.
● Discuss logistics when sampling wastewater in near-source locations and approaches to collect representable samples in near-real time.
● Importance of the cooperation between private industry, academia and the public sector in the fight against the pandemic.
Paul A. Westlund, Ph.D., is a water treatment specialist with in-depth experience in tracking and monitoring contaminants of emerging concern, including illicit drugs, pesticides, pharmaceuticals and industrial contaminants. He has extensive expertise in developing analytical techniques for contaminant detection within wastewater and treatment strategies to reduce environmental impacts.
Paul is the founder of C.E.C. Analytics and has developed a patent-pending composite sampler technology that can effectively track COVID-19 in wastewater. He leads a team of scientists that support wastewater-based epidemiology projects across Canada, with a focus on monitoring rural and remote vulnerable communities.