BACK TO ALL OPPORTUNITIES
Manager of Plant Operations, Region of Durham
Date Posted: 2017-03-27
The Region of Durham, dedicated to maintaining outstanding standards of service, relies on the expertise and commitment of our employees. You’d be surprised at the diverse career choices we have to offer! If you seek a career with growth and challenge, where quality and accountability work in tandem with integrity and a responsiveness to change, we welcome you to learn more about us.
Manager of Plant Operations (Regular Full-time)
Job ID# 8924
Reporting to the Director of Environmental Services, this position is responsible for providing leadership, guidance and direction in the operation of the Region's water supply and water pollution control plants, pumping stations, associated sites and programs.
The incumbent will:
- Manage the operation and maintenance of the Regional Water Supply system (treatment, pumping stations and reservoirs) and the Regional Sanitary Sewerage system (water pollution control plants, pumping stations, storage tanks and odour control facilities)
- Direct a monitoring and due diligence program regarding the collection, treatment, water quality and discharge for all municipal water and sanitary sewerage facilities
- Support a Drinking Water Quality Management System and ISO Management systems
- Participate in performance measure benchmarking programs for water and wastewater utilities
- Administer the annual budgets and forecasts to support existing and new programs while providing a cost efficient operation and maintenance of the Region's water supply and sanitary sewerage
- Oversee the operations of the Regional Biosolids Land Application Program
- Evaluate and recommend any upgrades and improvements to plant processes and equipment
- Communicate and promote the Region's expertise in the delivery of water and wastewater services
- Support and develop staff in the Plant Operations Division
The successful applicant will possess:
- A post-secondary degree in applied science or engineering with specialization in sanitary, water or environmental studies would be an asset
- Licenced as a Professional Engineer with the Professional Engineers of Ontario
- Extensive experience in the design/planning and/or operation and maintenance management of Water Supply and Sanitary Sewerage systems
- Several years' experience in a direct supervisory/manager role with exceptional leadership skills
- Experience working in an union environment and Collective Agreement operations
- Knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Fundamentals in Sanitary, Chemical and Civil Engineering, Water Quality and Public Health principles and practices, Federal and Provincial regulatory legislation for water and wastewater, regulatory requirements pertaining to boilers and pressure vessels and environmental legislation
- Experience working with Microsoft Office software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong supervisory, team building, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Outstanding problem solving, data analysis and organizational skills
To learn more about this opportunity, apply online at www.durham.ca.
We thank all applicants; however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: If you require accommodation at any time throughout the application process, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Consultant will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.