BACK TO ALL OPPORTUNITIES
Date Posted: 2017-04-12
(Temporary for approximately 12 months with possible extension)
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of temporary position of Hydrogeologist within the Guelph Water Services Division of Environmental Services Department. Reporting to the Manager of Technical Services and under the advisement of the Water Supply Program Manager, the successful applicant will provide professional project management, hydrogeological support, technical expertise and guidance in advancing program recommendations of the City’s Water Supply Master Plan and achieving the mandate of Guelph Water Services of providing consumers with a safe, consistent supply of high quality drinking water while meeting, exceeding, and continually improving on legal, operational, and quality management system requirements.
Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph’s Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the successful candidate will assist in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Project manage the Environmental Monitoring Program including reviewing all documents associated with the deliverables.
- Lead and support municipal water supply investigations, well rehabilitation, groundwater monitoring groundwater quality and related data management.
- Analyze collected information to assess and predict the impact of City municipal pumping activities on the environment.
- Create, schedule and maintain a record for all Water Services-owned wells including monitoring of the maintenance schedule and ensure compliance with Ontario Regulation 903 (Wells).
- Review annual reports from consultants for Permits to Take Water and work with the Water Services Compliance Coordinator to ensure compliance with respect to permit conditions.
- Coordinate projects associated with the Water Supply Master Plan.
- Manage data and data requests with respect to Water Services wells, water quality, water quantity and well interference.
- Provide oversight and management of contractor services for well installation/ decommissioning of wells/ well rehabilitation/ liner installations/ pumping tests and other well services.
- Review and monitor of capital budgets associated with water supply planning.
- Liaises with outside groups such as universities, conservation authorities and other municipalities to coordinate Water Services projects.
- Liaise with other Water Services staff and project managers and external consultants to provide hydrogeological support to Water Services projects.
- Make presentations to staff, council and related committees.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a Bachelors of Applied Science in Civil Engineering or Bachelors Degree in Environmental Geoscience or a related discipline and considerable experience in providing engineering, geoscience or related technical expertise within municipal groundwater supply systems. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must be registered or eligible within 12 months for registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or a Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) in the Province of Ontario
- Experience managing capital projects on time and on budget.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirement.
- Applied knowledge with the Ontario Water Resources Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act and associated Regulations.
- Excellent oral, written communication and customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries in an effective manner.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternatives and make recommendations to implement improvements.
- Ability to work effectively in both team situations and be a self starter able to work with minimal supervision.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
- Excellent organizational skills and project management skills with the ability to set priorities and meet defined project scope, budget and schedule.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- PMP accreditation would be an asset.
$43.30-$54.12 per hour
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, April 30, 2017. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.