ONTARIO MUNICIPAL WATER ASSOCIATION
THE VOICE OF MUNICIPAL WATER SUPPLY
Strategic Plan 2008
- Utilize Technical and Political Expertise to Address Legislative and Regulatory Issues Affecting Public Water Supply.
- Review and monitor policies, legislation and regulations (proposed and existing) and provide input and/or position
papers to ensure they address high standards of treatment, infrastructure, operations, governance and general
management for safe, reliable and high quality public water supply.
- Develop and distribute summary papers to municipal representatives and formally request support from councils
and/or water authorities and distribute to appropriate Provincial and Federal government representatives.
- Maximize Government Relations.
- Meet quarterly or as needed with the Ministry of Environment and work with all levels of government and their
agencies to maintain a safe, adequate and sustainable public water supply.
- Identify the existing government committees related to public water supply and where appropriate seek to have
OMWA representation on the committees.
- Continue to strengthen our Joint OWWA/OMWA Executive Committee through regular communications.
- Enhance Public Confidence in Public Water Supply.
- Six times a year put out news releases on relevant issues affecting water and the consumer. i.e. bottled water.
- Profile public water supply leaders (personal and systems) in the Pipeline and then provide the article to the local
- Undertake an annual survey at targeted groups.
- Provide speakers to local service clubs and other organizations to talk about issues surrounding public water supply.
- Increase Awareness of OMWA’s Value to Stakeholders through Targeted Communication.
- Engage involvement of membership on subcommittee work.
- Send monthly fax/e-mail alerts on achievements or issues to be noted.
- Increase value of the website to members by creating easy direct links for information.
- Develop a member recognition program.
- Support and Advance Education, Training and Development that is Relevant to Public Water Supply.
- Work with the Ministry, OWWA and others to ensure the effective and efficient training and education.
- Provide regional annual conferences with sessions relevant to members.
- Develop a working relationship with appropriate colleges for the development of programs related to our member
- Develop an outreach program for our bursary and profile our bursary winners in the pipeline and media.